Rusted Out 1970 850 Spider Fix-Up

Axles are installed and the transmission is all hooked back up. Tomorrow the carb gets reinstalled, and hopefully the rest of the engine compartment gets plumbed and reconnected. Everything is so crusty it takes twice as long to make it right. But....excelsior!

Alrighty. Carb is on, and most of the wiring and hoses are hooked up. Got a question for you experts though. Some of this was disconnected when I got it, and I need to know what goes where.

On the carb pic below, I believe the hookup on the left goes to the fuel pump. What is the right one for?

IMG_1387.JPG

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_1388.JPG
    IMG_1388.JPG
    224.8 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:
Ok, so since I am now just a little paranoid about the carb connections, I came up with this. I figure at worst a little gas might leak now, but there is no way either of those connections are flying off now as long as the clamps are tight. And if you have loose clamps, well then it does not matter.

IMG_1397.JPG

All engine electrical is hooked up now. I think if I put in a battery, hook up the ignition switch and spray some ether in the engine, I will have a vroom vroom moment!

Last edited:
You may want to re-route your throttle cable to run through its proper hole in the firewall, which in this case would be the hole directly to the left with the painted-over rubber bushing in it (seen at the top of your photo).

IMG_1397 copy.JPG

The cable you are seeing there is the choke cable. Is that the correct firewall hoLe for it?

Yes, that is the correct firewall hole for the choke cable. By the way cable is veering off to the side like that, it looked like it was going to the (throttle) cable receiver bracket on the valve cover, sorry.

The choke cable shouldn't be bent away to the left like that. It should run slightly up & straight back to the cable housing clamp on the side of the carb, & the cable itself connects to the choke linkage on the upper left side of the carb (just out of view in your photo).

IMG_1397 copy2.JPG

Yes, that is the correct firewall hole for the choke cable. By the way cable is veering off to the side like that, it looked like it was going to the (throttle) cable receiver bracket on the valve cover, sorry.

The choke cable shouldn't be bent away to the left like that. It should run slightly up & straight back to the cable housing clamp on the side of the carb, & the cable itself connects to the choke linkage on the upper left side of the carb (just out of view in your photo).

View attachment 25523

Thank you for this info. You guys know these cars much better than me!

Kinda feels like progress is stuck in molasses. Some of these small things take a while to fix, such as repairing the broken throttle cable today. However, I was able for the first time to try out my accelerator pedal repair, and it worked like a champ!

IMG_1404.PNG

I did hook the key up and I got it to crank, but still not start. Time to break out the voltmeter and recheck everything.

Alright then. Got the ignition switch figured out. It was slightly different than the original, so I had to put a jumper wire on it to feed the fusebox. You have better have your marrone-nero wire on there correctly! Fixed the engine ground, poured gas down the carb (repeatedly) and then magic happened!

Step forward, step back. My cooling fan is so brittle it fell apart from spinning. I can crumble it with my fingers.
IMG_1420.JPG

Anyone have a spare fan they can make me a deal on?

Last edited:
Alright then. Got the ignition switch figured out. It was slightly different than the original, so I had to put a jumper wire on it to feed the fusebox. You have better have your marrone-nero wire on there correctly! Fixed the engine ground, poured gas down the carb (repeatedly) and then magic happened!

HE'S A WITCH! BURN HIM!!!

I mean awesome job, congrats!

I went with the jb weld. Tapping and threading had the possibility, though remote, of busting the aluminum casting. It is hard for me to imagine that fuel pump putting out enough pressure to pop that line off, but it sure appears to have happened before!
It happened to me around 1990 on the Martinez bridge 1/2 way across!!! I was able to shut it off and coast to the south end and squeeze into an emergency area. You are putting many of us to shame with your rapid progress and determination, keep it up!!!

Back