What did you do to your X1/9 today ?

Bulkhead Soundproofing and Upholstery (later)

Yeah, I'm motivated at then moment...full speed ahead until I burn out. I'm also tackling the bulkhead with some new soundprooofing and upholstery in addition to new door cards. The cutting and application was easy. It does need a little more rolling with the rolling pin. The cleaning and scrubbing really wipes you out. The accumulated dirt/dust in the spare tire well had more layers in it than Pompeii had layers of volcanic pumice. Ive got a few more hours of cleaning ahead of me. By the way, this Bertone stamp was hiding under the original bulkhead upholstery. Inspector #38?

Attachments

• IMG_3087.JPG
    IMG_3087.JPG
    309.2 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_3086.JPG
    IMG_3086.JPG
    182.9 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:
Windshield Fluid Tank Repair

After some research I concluded polyethylene is the most common material used for fluid tanks on cars in the last thirty or so years. I guessed right. Using a plastic soldering iron, I was able to seal the crack along the bottom of the tank. It held liquid without leaving a damp spot on the paper towel below it. It's not too pretty, but it worked. I'll write up a more detailed procedure later and place it in the Workshop forum.

Attachments

• IMG_3073.JPG
    IMG_3073.JPG
    275.3 KB · Views: 128
I have replaced a clutch in about 4 hours, but it was on my autocross car, and it was the second time in the same day, so all the tools where handy, and none of the fasteners gave me grief.
Saturday I pulled the 1300 out of my 128 autocross car in about 6 hours. It's nice not to have all the "extra" stuff in the way...

Using a plastic soldering iron, I was able to seal the crack along the bottom of the tank. It held liquid
I did that as well with a standard soldering gun after cleaning up a lot of glue from a faulty repair by previous owner.
After removing the bumpers I see no use for that big tank just for keeping the windscreen clean. Instead I am thinking about using it as an expansion tank for the water to air intercooler. But maybe it is sitting too low.

Got the horn, the indicators and the self cancelling mechanism working. Got the idle fixed.
Then cleaned about 30 years of dirt out of the duco and went for a drive.
It drives very nice.
Next is to get it over the pits and licenced.

I stuck a new battery into mine to test the lights and other things, for when i go to try to turn it over. But there was a problem (duh)

1979 year model, just had a quick question. If i have a fresh new battery in it, the connections in the fuse box look good, no broken fuses or relays (when i hook up the battery, the hazard flasher relay makes noise). I flick on the switch, and nothing. The headlights don't pop up, instrument cluster lights don't light up, none of the running lights come on, and i'm lost.

What could cause this, and what could some solutions be?

I had the same thing happen a couple of weeks ago. It turned out to be a bad battery cable clamp. Have you checked the charge on the new battery? If you are getting a noise, there must be some voltage in the system, but perhaps it is too low. If the battery is OK, I'd check the voltage at the fuse box (or perhaps the cigarette lighter would be easier). If it is not close to the battery voltage, there is likely a problem with the connection in between.

I had the same thing happen a couple of weeks ago. It turned out to be a bad battery cable clamp. Have you checked the charge on the new battery? If you are getting a noise, there must be some voltage in the system, but perhaps it is too low. If the battery is OK, I'd check the voltage at the fuse box (or perhaps the cigarette lighter would be easier). If it is not close to the battery voltage, there is likely a problem with the connection in between.

Okay, thanks, i'll give that a shot. Thanks man!

Today was storage time for the winter. Since my 1980 is taking the garage space, I needed to leave the 1987 outside. I happened to have a concrete floor behind the garage. I used to have a temporary shelter but some snow falling from the roof destroyed it a few years ago. So I kept the tarp and put it over a wood frame structure surrounding my Fiat.
20191019_152419.jpg

I still need to remove the front tires, then I covered the car and put some paved stones onthe tarp to avoid the Wind catching underneath

20191019_162542.jpg

Not pretty, but it's doing the job. But I think next year I will buy another temporary shelter, I like the idea of being able to access the car over the winter, which is not the case with my installation. Remember, I live in Québec!

Good that it’s on concrete but let air get in under the tarp. Moisture will gather under it and cause you more issues, don’t seal it off.

At the risk of getting a slap from the mods, I took a break from x1/9s and took our Alfasud Sprint Veloce for a last drive before winter kicks in. Half a tank of premium fuel in the tank to help with the spring start up.

Old photo

Good that it’s on concrete but let air get in under the tarp. Moisture will gather under it and cause you more issues, don’t seal it off.
You are right, but with a few feet of snow and ice on it over the winter, there will be no air circulating underneath. I still believe it is better like that than leaving it out into the element. And I left one foot on each side between the wood structure and the sides of the car, and air could enter under the front until snow will accumulate

Reactions: NEG
An old style filament light bulb under the car may be able to generate enough heat to keep moisture out. It’s an old trick that folks used to use for motorcycles stored under a tarp in a cold garage.

took our Alfasud Sprint Veloce for a last drive before winter kicks in. Half a tank of premium fuel in the tank to help with the spring start up.

Old photo

Great car, please tell more about it.
Had 1.5 83' Alfasud for 13 years, just sold it last year and i miss it. Different kind of fun compare to the X. Used to buy parts from Peter in the UK, you probably know him.
Good thing about Israel - winter is a joke at most times, what makes it the best time to drive our oldies.

Reactions: NEG
Back