Yahoo Fiat 850 group closure

Jim McKenzie

1972 850 Spider
You may have noticed that Yahoo is shutting all of their groups down in December, the 14th I think. I just found out about this, this weekend.

New content can only be posted for another week, ending 10/28.

I've tried a few Yahoo Groups "grabbers" to get all the files, photos and messages from the Fiat 850 group without success. Has anyone been able to download the entire file set? There's just far too much wisdom and knowledge there to let it go, I think it even includes a lot of the old Mirafiori stuff as well.

Funny, I thought Yahoo had already shut down its groups a year or two ago. Maybe that was just the initial announcement. Agreed, lots of knowledge there... hope it can be saved in some form. It was a great resource when I had my 850 Coupe.

...A tool called PG Offline will download a copy of all messages, files, and photos...

Thanks for posting about PG Offline. I was able to use it to save about 500 messages among SCCA X1/9 racers in an old Yahoo Groups site. It worked well. Free demo, and $25 for the version without download limits.

Paul

I was able to download all messages (36,305) all photos and all files from the Fiat 850 Yahoo group last night.

I tried the demo version of the PG Offline software at http://www.personalgroupware.com/, and was able to download 1000 messages before it ceased and prompted me to purchase.

You need to generate a unique code and send it to them, they acknowledge the purchase and send you a (long) license code to run it. I did so through Paypal and the software creator, Wilson Logan, responded quickly with the license. I let it run all last night. With this software you can download everything from any Yahoo group you belong to. I was in 7 groups, but it was only the Fiat stuff I wanted.

I am going to try and move the app and files to another more robust home computer that's in my garage this weekend, to have this rich source of guidance. I do know the "signal to noise ratio" in the group is fairly low, but there's a ton of Chris Obert/John Edwards posts that are 850 gold. BTW you are able to sort posts by sender, by conversation, by subject and date etc. from within the PG Offline app itself, so there are a lot of good features to it. So far I'd recommend it.

Last edited:
I currently don't own an 850 but I appreciate your efforts to retrieve all that irreplaceable knowledge before it gets relegated to oblivion. The same thing happened to me when AOL's Hometown shut down in 2005 or so. I had to move the 124 Sport Coupe Registry to a safe (still) location.

I was wondering what happened to the 850 Yahoo group. I stopped getting emails from that site years ago. I sent off a few test postings, and was told they got thru, but I never got another email from the group.
I guessed they may have gone on to @groups.io groups like many other old yahoo groups.
It's too bad the group's closed up.

My partner runs the FiatCabriolet yahoo group. She downloaded everything, but has not bothered to go to @groups.io because the Yahoo group still works! Just nothing gets saved...

Back