Rusted Out 1970 850 Spider Fix-Up

Several days into brazing all the holes that showed up after the acid bath, and I think I am ready to seal the tank. Gonna let it dry until tomorrow....then in it goes!

Here is is after sitting for 20 minutes full of water. I think it is leak free!
9E844ECF-E7E8-4011-958D-A40742081ED7.jpeg

Just needs a quick layer of paint and a new sending unit. Done!

Whilst I had the engine out, I decided to take a look at my starter. The upper bolt was kinda acting stripped, and the starter stopped turning right before I pulled the engine. It was probably wiring related, but what better time to look into it. The upper bolt was indeed stripped, so I used my tap and die set to bring it to a smaller thread. I also oiled the starter and it does seem to be turning smoother.
FD9D5A32-1F43-4033-85A6-88BC8F034277.jpeg

New sending unit! Just need to drill it out for the return line. Then time to reassemble!

59995DEA-A1A6-4753-AC68-A2A406C9A08B.jpeg

If you still have the starter out, it might be worth opening it up and checking the brushes as well as cleaning & lubing everything. My brushes were just about shot and the inside was full of a greasy sludge owing to where it is located on an X.

I need one of the following things:

• To move to a warmer climate where I can work outside more.
  • Build a good workshop where I can have heat and work out of the weather.

At the moment the latter versus the former looks to be the more likely approach.

Looking forward to the next steps along your path.

I need one of the following things:

• To move to a warmer climate where I can work outside more.
  • Build a good workshop where I can have heat and work out of the weather.

At the moment the latter versus the former looks to be the more likely approach.

Looking forward to the next steps along your path.
Warmer climate for the win. We are just about into spring here in Texas, so I should be all set. It is already starting to green up! You can always visit Michigan in the summer.
Dan - ex of northern Indiana.

No new pics (like there is anything you haven’t seen yet), but a quick update. Gas is pumping cleanly, and the car is running. It will not idle, so adjustment time is here. Oh, and the water pump was leaking where it bolts to the block. I think tightening up the bolts cured that. Progress!

On the idle, make sure you have good seals at the carb to the manifold and manifold to head. Does your carb have a idle shut off valve or a proper needle valve?

I have had to make my own gasket out of slightly thicker material to deal with issues around the waterpump to block. You can only tighten it so much.

No new pics (like there is anything you haven’t seen yet), but a quick update. Gas is pumping cleanly, and the car is running. It will not idle, so adjustment time is here. Oh, and the water pump was leaking where it bolts to the block. I think tightening up the bolts cured that. Progress!

A gallon can of carb dip with the parts basket will work wonders on even the dirtiest carbs.
Take it completely apart and let the parts sit for a while in the can. Keep an eye on the parts, you can leave them in too long. Metal parts only.

Remember to use a face shield and chemical gloves, work in a well ventilated area; this is some evil stuff.

MWB has an inexpensive rebuild kit.

If you don't have the drip tray, try to find one.
It "can" affect the idle, not always, but often enough.

So, the choke cable was jammed. No choke, no start. Last two days spent working on that between rainstorms. Got that working, and now the car is running again! Yay! Not idling without the choke, but baby steps. Let it run for about 5 minutes, and noticed a not pleasant smell. Shut it down and took a look. Either I have a glasspak I blew out, or there was a mouse nest in my muffler. I bet it is not done yet either.

Tomorrow...ensure all gauges are working and start on idle.
B6CDA3B4-4CAC-4F54-90B5-6F50F40B0824.jpeg

Ok experts...what is causing my carb to sputter like this? The car is idling ok, and I have opened up the carb again and made sure everything is clean and blown out with high pressure air. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Ok experts...what is causing my carb to sputter like this? The car is idling ok, and I have opened up the carb again and made sure everything is clean and blown out with high pressure air. Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Is it my imagination or do I see gases being blown up out of the right hand barrel. If yes, could be a cam or ignition timing issue or a bad valve.

Is it my imagination or do I see gases being blown up out of the right hand barrel. If yes, could be a cam or ignition timing issue or a bad valve.
It is not your imagination. Raw gas is sputtering up as well. I get the feeling the carb is running super rich, but I am at a loss as to why. Anyone know of a good rebuilder for these carbs?

It may indeed be timing. I will check that next. I am trying to not think about cam issue yet! Thanks!

Back