(Yet another) bumper shrinking option - UPDATE both bumpers done!

I used to feel the same way, not really caring for the 308 or 328 styling, but oddly I've grown to like them.

Odd or not, I'm the same way--I used to think the 308s looked super cheesy, but they've grown on me lately.

Per your description, bjwhite, the 348 sounds like a better option as a driver in many ways... But to me it visually looks a generation or two ahead of the cars I tend to prefer. It looks like an early-'90s design (which it is!). That's a great design era in its own right. I really like the look of the Lotus Esprits of the same vintage, for example. But for whatever reason, my tastes run to the boxy ('80s BMWs, 1st/2d/3d-gen VW Jettas), the curvy (308, C3 Corvette), or the wedge shapes.

Of course, there's no accounting for taste. At least we can all agree on the wedges! Urracos and 308 GT4s and Khamsins, oh my

Yeah the 348 is a bit of a wedge/curvy combination. It's a late 80s design though! :) First production started in 1989 so the design had to be locked in well before that. :)

And to be clear, I don't dislike the 308 GTS/GTB at all. I especially love a good Euro GTB. I LOVE the size of the car.....but I'm just meh on the design and me ever wanting one. I wouldn't kick it out of bed though.

I also love the Mondial Coupes to be honest though--maybe I'm strange, but a good Mondial is nothing to sneeze at. And the Mondial T is basically a 348 drivetrain if that's more your fancy.

I'm the same way--I used to think the 308s looked super cheesy, but they've grown on me lately.
I guess I'd say it this way; modern vs vintage. In the 80's I loved the "modern" styles and thought the older "vintage" stuff was just that - old and vintage, so not to my liking. In fact I even customized all of my 'modern' styled cars to make them look even more modern. Perfect example, the Porsche 911 of that era. Then I viewed the early "longnose" 911 as old fashion, and preferred the (then) current SC/Carrera models. And I customized them with things like the "DP" slant nose conversion, complete with the flat deep front air dam and deep whale tail spoiler, to give them a more futuristic style. During that period I also much preferred the 'modern' styled 348 (or Testarossa) over the 'vintage' styled 308/328. And like the Porsche, I customized it with additional modern touches. However now my tastes have reversed. If I were to buy a 911 I'd still get the SC/Carrera, but backdate it to the early longnose look. And likewise, I'd be more inclined to get a 308/328 over a 348, and make it even further 'vintage' looking.

Another example, when the early "super cars" first came onto the scene in the late 60's-early 70's, I viewed them as exciting and exotic....loved them. But as each generation of super car design came along, the early ones no longer appealed to me - favoring the newer styles. Now it's the opposite; I'd take a early example over a later one (even most of the current 'new' offerings).

I also love the Mondial Coupes
My best friend had a Testarossa and got a Mondial T (convertible) for his wife. He thought the 'back seat' made it a practical car for her (he never had any common sense). That car was a turd in every way. A Suburban quickly replaced it (they had two little kids).

My best friend had a Testarossa and got a Mondial T (convertible) for his wife. He thought the 'back seat' made it a practical car for her (he never had any common sense). That car was a turd in every way. A Suburban quickly replaced it (they had two little kids).

What made it a turd? Mondial Ts are especially good. I certainly wouldn't get a Cabriolet, but still.

What made it a turd?
Not sure if it was particular to this one or not, but despite being the usual Ferrari with extremely low miles, overly serviced history, and pristine condition, it was plagued with lots more problems than any of our others. Frequent mechanical issues (which were a pain due to the orientation of things), repeated electrical problems, the usual Italian car hydraulic failures, etc. And it was not comfortable, nor a great driving/handling car. It really did not give any of the "sports car" feel. Naturally the obligatory transmission syncro failures existed, so you couldn't use second gear until everything got up to full temp. And even then it was not a smooth shifting trans; I suspect something to do with the "T" layout and shift linkage design? Very underpowered, like most of the models from that era. Just a turn all around. And he lost quite a lot of money on it.

One year we decided to take all of our Ferraris to Monterey week and show them at Concours Italiano. His wife drove the Mondial, he drove the Testarossa, and I drove my 348 (I was really into convertibles at that time, so it was a Spyder with the F1 trans package). The Mondial broke down on the way there. But I managed to fix it well enough to continue. Then once we got there it broke down again, for a completely different unrelated reason. We found a local shop that - with our assistance - was able to fix it. The last morning it broke down yet again. This time another unrelated issue and beyond easy repair. So his wife drove the Testarossa home, my girlfriend drove my 348 home, and he and I stayed another night to get a flatbed tow truck that would carry it from Monterey all the way back to Orange County. We rode in the tow truck to make sure it had a safe trip. The tow truck was also taking another Ferrari back to OC; that one was purchased at one of the big car auctions during the week's festivities (the guy paid WAY too much for it). Sadly it wouldn't even start so the new owner had to tow it home. My buddy and I had a blast staying that extra night without the girls, and even on the long slow trip back home (nice not to have to drive for once). The other two Ferraris, as well as several of our friends' Ferraris, made the trip fine. But the Mondial was a constant nuisance.

And even then it was not a smooth shifting trans; I suspect something to do with the "T" layout and shift linkage design? Very underpowered, like most of the models from that era. Just a turn all around. And he lost quite a lot of money on it.

One year we decided to take all of our Ferraris to Monterey week and show them at Concours Italiano. His wife drove the Mondial, he drove the Testarossa, and I drove my 348 (I was really into convertibles at that time, so it was a Spyder with the F1 trans package).

Hmmm. Not sure what to doubt here. :) The 348 never had an F1 transmission. That started two years after 348 production stopped with the introduction of the F355 F1 in 97. If you had a 348, it had the same transmission as the Mondial T. (unless the T was one of the super rare Valeo models). If you had a 355, then it had an extra 75hp and 1000rpm of revs.

I wouldn't consider either the 348 or the Mondial T "slow" per se. They are fairly quick, if not considered "fast", Both the 348 and Mondial T have mid-5 second 0-60 times...which were very respectable at the time.

Anyway. I don't know man, sounds like an issue with that particular car to be honest. I haven't heard similar stories very often in the Mondial circles, especially with the T.

Ha-ha, I see I continually mistyped the model number in that last post - intended to say 355. Our talk about the 348 must have stuck on my mind.
Ya, that Mondial was nothing but problems. But that's the only one that existed in our group so there were really no others to compare it to.

Also, original poster. Sorry for turning this into thread scope creep Ferrari stuff. haha.

Haha, no worries, this is good motivation to finish up the front bumper (trickier!) and add photos. Clearly it's taken too long already if the thread had enough time to drift this far...

Last edited:
Bumper tuck and cab forward:
Great job on the truck! What? Are you working in a parking garage?
As an old timer, I can say that aesthetics change over time. To those who grew up with the 50s n 60s cars, the long front hood is the look. Long front ends (and bigger rear ends) were great! Re: the former: a case of beer fit easily between the radiator and the grill of any 55-58 chevy! A Person could fit in the front of a VW bug! (With the hood shut) As for the latter, check out WW2 era pinup calendars !

What? Are you working in a parking garage?

Thanks! For the most part I do work in a parking garage, yeah. But I rent lift space in a real garage for projects that require a torch/welder, or stuff like replacing the gas tank where a lift is handy.

A Person could fit in the front of a VW bug! (With the hood shut) As for the latter, check out WW2 era pinup calendars !
Hm, this is as close as I could find. She's like, "They said get in the trunk, but how the #$#@ am I going to fit in here??"
1607200185199.png

Go to any big city and look for one "for sale." Then simply test drive it! Could make for a fun weekend, it costs a lot of money to drive sports cars on tracks in Germany!
My son and I went to LA one week and "test drove" Corvettes. Danger Alert: you may buy one! We did!

Back