Remote Oil Filter

Hi Dom,

yes, that's the one.

I do like the Renault Clio one too in case you don't need the oil cooler conections.

Thanks Ulix. Good to know there is ample room for the filter hanging downward, and particularly a regular full size filter vs needing a short one.

After reading your reply I remembered that this came up in the past (possibly you discussed it on your engine before?)....there was a thread with the BMW part number and typical models it is found on in the US, if that helps anyone. I recall looking on eBay by the BMW part number; a few used ones were listed - prices varied but in the typical BMW range, and even a new one - but rather expensive. So they are available.

Edit (added info): The oil line holes are threaded M22x1.5 and are meant for had line as schown in the BMW part drawing. The hard lines have a flange like a hard brake line to seal..We didn't install it that way, but just so you know. Shown in the pics are Adapters to M18 screwed into the holes.

M22 x 1.5 is a common thread for oil coolers, kind of the metric equivalent to a -12 AN hose fitting, common on porsche and most late model euro stuff, but if they use some sort of proprietary flare / fittng then not so great as it makes for fiddly installation finding the right parts.

banjo fittings while good for tight spaces, often have very poor flow rates compared to a "regular" fitting.

The clio option is OK, but also presents the need for additional parts to change the thread (which is metric in the sohc block of course, just 3/4 -16 UNC on the oil filter end of the fitting) and then just fit a normal cooler adaptor between it and the filter..but then you probably get clearance issues in other places...

SteveC

Edit (added info): The oil line holes are threaded M22x1.5 and are meant for had line as schown in the BMW part drawing. The hard lines have a flange like a hard brake line to seal.
We didn't install it that way, but just so you know. Shown in the pics are Adapters to M18 screwed into the holes.

If you just bolt it on, it will hang at an angle like this:
View attachment 43984

But it is easy to cut this "ear" off the block that my finger is pointing to, then it will hang straight down. (Note that this is a Tipo block, don't know if the X1/9 block has the ear.)
View attachment 43986
Been searching for a filter adapter and oil cooler connector. I do like your solution. Knowing the tight space between firewall and engine bloc, is there adequate space for connecting adapters and hoses out of the unit? Also, please confirm BMW part number: 11421711070. Thanks

Been searching for a filter adapter and oil cooler connector. I do like your solution. Knowing the tight space between firewall and engine bloc, is there adequate space for connecting adapters and hoses out of the unit? Also, please confirm BMW part number: 11421711070. Thanks
I don't recall if this has been mentioned already, but the Fiat SOHC's oil filter mounting is a fairly common size (surprisingly enough, considering all of the other things that are odd unique sizes on these engines). I happens to be the same as the old Chevy small block V8, so there are countless adapters available that will directly fit the Fiat block. Pretty much any arrangement you could dream up; with or without thermostat, straight/angled, multi ports for accessories, sandwiched or remote filter, CNC/cast/multi-piece/etc, high or low tech, ....whatever. And at the full gamut of price ranges.

Back