What is the purpose of this?

X19

True Classic
Why did they install this? Its connected To the fuel tank.

Attachments

• 4BC795B7-5E69-4C0B-B671-A66EB989FAFC.jpeg
    4BC795B7-5E69-4C0B-B671-A66EB989FAFC.jpeg
    323.3 KB · Views: 154
The braided hoses and plastic reservoir things? The workshop manual calls those plastic reservoirs "separators." I think it's designed to let air/vapor in and out of the tank safely without letting any liquid gas out. They run to a charcoal canister mounted on the back side of the engine bay, which filters and then vents to the atmosphere. At least that's my (mostly uninformed non-expert!) impression.

You will want to keep those on the car. If sealed off the fuel tank can collapse. If left open the car will smell of gasoline all the time.
They are currently not in use. Some pre owner bypassed them. Dont see any use of them now

marked it with red "circle"

Attachments

• 000000000000000000 x19.jpeg
    000000000000000000 x19.jpeg
    477 KB · Views: 112
Its part of the evaporative emissions control system. If you hook it up properly, your garaged car will not smell like vaporized gasoline after a hot run. These systems were required on cars sold in the USA starting in model year 1974. Similar systems are used is most first world countries.

Unless the rest of that vapor system is working properly it isn't too effective at eliminating the fumes. It is a rather complex system with a lot of components and attachments. Unfortunately I've never found one that was complete, in good condition, connected correctly, or working properly after all these years. One of the primary aspects is the charcoal canister, which technically should be replaced after time/use. But they aren't available. It's mostly personal preference what to do about it, unless you happen to live where strick inspections require everything emissions related to be stock and working. Although I doubt many inspectors will know the difference with this system.

I have not noticed any fumes despite my charcoal canister being 47 years old. The only mod to my system is the removal of the hose going from the charcoal cannister to the exhaust manifold heat shield (heat shield removed to accommodate headers).

I have my emissions controls hooked up and working fine. So it is possible. One thing I like about driving the X is the fact that no matter how hot, there is no fuel smell in the garage. I can't say that about some of my other vintage vehicles. It's a wionderfully effective system and well worth maintaining.

Attachments

• P3254846.JPG
    P3254846.JPG
    254.7 KB · Views: 57
The system is entirely passive so it has not negative effect on the performance of the car.

One of the few mandated systems from that time which were effective and didn’t make the car unpleasant to drive.

One could argue that our current high horsepower engines were enabled by emissions control requirements as it effectively moved cars from simple carbs to carefully managed fuel injection systems but that is another discussion.

I have not noticed any fumes despite my charcoal canister being 47 years old. The only mod to my system is the removal of the hose going from the charcoal cannister to the exhaust manifold heat shield (heat shield removed to accommodate headers).
That hot air supply hose is a key piece of how the evap/charcoal system works.

I'll ask the stupid question - where's the charcoal cannister, and how would one know if it needs service?

On a late car they are mounted behind the transmission more or less under the coolant reservoir.

It is a rectangular metal box with rounded corners. It was once cadmium plated but so many years later hard to say what it would look like today.

Back