Types of X1/9 owners

I can relate to that, here is mine on the day we towed it home.

IMG_0695[1].JPG

Well, Yves has a point in a way. I mean at what point is an upgrade more of a mod? What exactly is the definition of a "mod?" The mind races.

How many angels can dance on the top of a valve shim?
Things can get a bit mind bending here sometimes.

Well, Yves has a point in a way. I mean at what point is an upgrade more of a mod? What exactly is the definition of a "mod?" The mind races.
Very good point. Number 1 or 2 guy might see a stock X1/9 with 175/70-13's as modded, and number 3 guy might consider it modded only after the smog equipment has been removed. Number 4 guy sees it as stock until it gets a roll cage.

That being said, I'm picking up another X next week from #5 guy and the car (and my pocketbook) will make up what kind of X guy I'll be this time around.

Welcome to the group. Your story reminds me of a friend of mine from high school that bought a stolen 61 Corvette that was recovered by the insurance company in the mid 60s.. The body panels were mostly on the chassis, but the engine/trans, were out of the car and their were about 20 large boxes of Corvette parts. We actually got it back together in a few months and it turned out to be a nice ride.
I will post pictures of the "kit" as soon as the weather warms a little more. - temps out here make most of us sit inside and enjoy a cup of something hot till the days pass. Hearing your story makes the thought of a putting this together a little more in reach. Thanks.

I have bought 2 cars without ever even driving that model before the purchase. A '55 Austin Healey took me year to get it on the road, and a Lotus Europa. Neither was as "sporty" as my 2013 Mazda Miata. If you have not driven a stock X, expect to accelerate very slow, but turn very fast. :)
Love it. I grew up with Volvos, so move slow and lean a lot on slow corners. this will be an improvement. ; )

I was with you until "won't mod".

Mine looked like this when I got it.

index.php

Doesn't yet look much different in the garage.
That looks like it needs a little TLC. Won't mod it since I don't have the patience yet. Just want to get it on the road first then think about engines and ride later. I have two more girls heading into college in the next few years. Have to get them off so I can play more. If it makes you have some faith in me, I do have a book on how to make this into a race car? I am reading the manuals first, then I will read that one next.

That looks like it needs a little TLC. Won't mod it since I don't have the patience yet. Just want to get it on the road first then think about engines and ride later. I have two more girls heading into college in the next few years. Have to get them off so I can play more. If it makes you have some faith in me, I do have a book on how to make this into a race car? I am reading the manuals first, then I will read that one next.
I know that feeling my son finished college a year ago and my daughter is a junior. When she is done that will open up more time and finance for the X.

So with my car in hibernation for the winter I have more time to pounder other matters of X1/9 ownership. I've been on the board long enough to have identified 4 main types of X1/9 owners.

1) The Butterfly Collectors: They buy perfect X1/9 to collect them and don't really put any miles on them. You don't see many or any of them on this board. I could never be one of these but can appreciate their preservation.

2) The Traditionalist: These are owners who like to keep the X1/9 in the same condition as when new, they like the cars the way they looked in the 70s but believe they are to be driven and enjoyed. A very noble and honorable group here.

3) The modders: These are people who modify there X1/9s to the way they want them, changing colors and wheel type is OK here. Modifications can be few and simple or whole new power trans and they love to drive their Xs. I fall into this category myself.

4) The track rats: We all know them they love to race these cars and bring out all they can be. They often also own street versions of the car as well. Love to watch a X race.

So this is how I see the owners, what are your thoughts here. I thought it would be a fun thread for the end of the week.
I believe I am a 2 looking for a return to when I was young by buying the same year and color as my first X1/9. I will try to keep it as similar as my ’74, but i doubt I will drive her a lot - just enough to bring back many memories

On my 5th X1/9.
Started as a 1 in 1974, but after a year moved to a 2.
Then had a couple of 3's, edging towards 4.
Now back to 2 with a 1974. Of course, removing air pump, installing a Euro cam, and a bunch of head work I suppose moves it a bit but I am refraining from other mods. In fact I am trying to find some name brand 145/80-13 tires.

I've still got my original set of Michelin XAS 145-13 tires on the original factory wheels in my basement (aside from the spare in the car). According to the dimensions I got from Michelin, they turn out to be an 82 series. Back then, they were not real big on specifying aspect ratios like they do today (not that many choices). I think that most of the early US cars were shipped with the XAS, complete with inner tubes. Toward the end of 74, they started showing up with tubeless Pirelli Cinturato 145-13s. They wore better than the XAS but lacked the excellent grip that the XAS had.

2*

I'm a 2 with an asterisk: maintain originality while driving and showing, but not averse to making a mod that enhances original form or function but is not too obvious.
I'm with Dan for the most part.

Currently a 2.5 category kinda guy. Back-dating and simplifying. Those things as well as reliability and drivability mods...my personal preference over hot-rodding this little car (anymore). I have my choice of big-boy cars and donor-cycles for any speed-fix these days.

My latest X build is a joy to drive at any speed...even if the 0-60 time could be timed with a sun dial.
IMG_3128.jpg

On my 5th X1/9.
Started as a 1 in 1974, but after a year moved to a 2.
Then had a couple of 3's, edging towards 4.
Now back to 2 with a 1974. Of course, removing air pump, installing a Euro cam, and a bunch of head work I suppose moves it a bit but I am refraining from other mods. In fact I am trying to find some name brand 145/80-13 tires.
145HR13 CA67 PIRELLI CINTURATO https://www.cinturato.net/145-13.html

Available from https://www.lucasclassictires.com/PIRELLI-Cinturato_c54.htm

What could be better :) ?

In 1975, I put 185/70-13 CN36 on my X. They handled great. The new ones are made with modern processes and materials and are supposed to be even better. They also filled the wheel wells much better than the 185/60-13s I've got on now.

the garage is a single, so i can’t afford a garage queen. and, as much as i love loud noises and complicated machines, i’ve never really had oil in my veins or grease in my joints (i’ll have a proper gin martini please). so, 2.5 sounds about right.

Definitely a 4. It takes a lot of dedication (probably misdirected), knowledge (certainly not as much as you should have) and money (you soon learn not to leave receipts lying around) to make perfectly good road car horrible to drive on the road.

Back