Wanted- 13" wheels for Fiat 850 spider....

The dynamic loads placed on the body by the shocks are typically much higher that the loads by the springs, so I think that will work.

That is the setup I was trying to describe. Pricey but available for less. The two main questions I have are whether they offer meaningful performance advantages on the street and what do the tops of those coilovers attach to. I cannot see how the shock mounts would be up to the task.

The follow up question would be how solid are my shock mounts? Thats a common rust prone area.

Hi Dave,
The 1300/124 front end is NOT the coilover type you are thinking of. It's from and 850 that had a Fiat 124 pushrod motor in place of the 850 motor. The front was an 850 with the eye leaf reversed and stiffer. They were easily available at one time and POSSIBLY the same as the Fiat 850 based OT1000. I think this leaf is currently available but not certain. Check "Mr. Fiat." Resident Fiat 850 Guru Jeff Stich can provide more details and pics of just about anything 850.

This is where I got mine: https://shop.strato.de/epages/62098439.sf/en_US/?ObjectPath=/Shops/62098439/Products/850-005

Hi Dave,
The 1300/124 front end is NOT the coilover type you are thinking of. It's from and 850 that had a Fiat 124 pushrod motor in place of the 850 motor. The front was an 850 with the eye leaf reversed and stiffer. They were easily available at one time and POSSIBLY the same as the Fiat 850 based OT1000. I think this leaf is currently available but not certain. Check "Mr. Fiat." Resident Fiat 850 Guru Jeff Stich can provide more details and pics of just about anything 850.
Abarth def. never used the coil-over setup on the 1300/124s. While it might *seem* cool and will costa lotta, I can't see the advantage unless you were building a flat-out race car and the rules permitted it. The Abarth front and rear lowering springs are available from Berni Motori and abarth-online.de and maybe one or two other places in Europe.

Be aware that if using a front lowering spring, because they are de-arched somewhat, the wheels get pushed out farther and may be too far. Camber needs to be reset too. I had this happen on my 600-based Abarth replica and had to get another set wheels to compensate which added more $$ to the project. Easiest way if you ask me is to use the lowering blocks which also allow camber adjustment and then you can keep the stock spring.

Hi Gil, is this what you are referring to?
View attachment 54213
Yup. I got the ones for my Abarth replica from Middle Barton Garage in the UK. There was someone in Portland making these for 850s a while back. Don't know who it was.

Thanks guys. After a good bit of thought and research, the lowering block (perch) seems like the best bolt in, bolt off solution. I am aware that this will alter the relationship between the lower control arm, i.e. the spring and the upper control arm. Just guessing, it seems like it might result in greater negative camber.
At any rate, does anyone know of a current source of said lowering block? An internet search has not resulted in any finds. Thanks.

Thanks guys. After a good bit of thought and research, the lowering block (perch) seems like the best bolt in, bolt off solution. I am aware that this will alter the relationship between the lower control arm, i.e. the spring and the upper control arm. Just guessing, it seems like it might result in greater negative camber.
At any rate, does anyone know of a current source of said lowering block? An internet search has not resulted in any finds. Thanks.
Someone near Portland, OR is getting them made. You can find the person here on Craiglist: https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/pts/d/gladstone-fiat-lowering-bracket/7432566408.html
1642985614046.png

Hey, thank you so much! I am actually looking for a replacement for the block to which the spring is centrally attached. Abarth made a C Channel that raised the spring in the body. I emailed the guy and asked.

Last edited:
Hey, thank you so much! I am actually looking for a replacement for the block to which the spring is centrally attached. Abarth made a C Channel that raised the spring in the body. I emailed the guy and asked.
The block also requires modifying the body to use it as the spring interferes with a seam that runs through where the spring will now want to sit.

I have a reversed spring eye leaf spring on my Sport Coupe, it lowers it quite enough for use on real world streets. At least for me.

When I owned an 850 Coupe, I bought one of those "lowering block" channels from these folks: http://www.giantkillerracing.net/

I don't see them listed on GKR's website any longer, but may be worth reaching out to ask. It was very nicely made and did a much better job than the botched reverse-eye spring that was on the car when I bought it.

The block also requires modifying the body to use it as the spring interferes with a seam that runs through where the spring will now want to sit.

I have a reversed spring eye leaf spring on my Sport Coupe, it lowers it quite enough for use on real world streets. At least for me.
Can you elaborate further? It seems like there is a lot to know.

When I owned an 850 Coupe, I bought one of those "lowering block" channels from these folks: http://www.giantkillerracing.net/

I don't see them listed on GKR's website any longer, but may be worth reaching out to ask. It was very nicely made and did a much better job than the botched reverse-eye spring that was on the car when I bought it.
Thank you, I will do that. Did the installation require body modifications? Granted your car was a coupe and mine is a sider.

Can you elaborate further? It seems like there is a lot to know.
There is a raised seam where the trunk floor pan meets the inner fender assembly, with the lowering C channel for the spring you need to trim the seam on both sides to fit the lowering C channel. Personally I am loath to make changes like that when there are other good solutions like a reversed eye spring or the lowering bracket which also offers other features in addition.

Here’s some info from the 850 competition manual for the lowering block installation. I have done this and it’s not a big deal.

Attachments

• E62EDC88-E7DB-42E7-881F-2BA052299BED.png
    E62EDC88-E7DB-42E7-881F-2BA052299BED.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 19
Back