Installation of Odyssey AGM16L (PC680)

NeilMc

Daily Driver
Following guidance from a previous thread, @bpimm and others have installed Odyssey AGM batteries to their X's. I've done the same and it is working well. This car will never be out in -40degF weather so a massive battery is not required. My car is perilously close to being on the road so I need a means of holding it down. I purchase a bracket from Aircraft Spruce which fits the battery perfectly and now I need to attach the bracket to the firewall in the battery well.

My first thought is to re-purpose some 6mm studs from upper shock mounts I obtained from @Fiataccompli as part of four complete shock assemblies. I have a number of redundant shock mounts to use as donors.
IMG_0433.jpg

I have not been able to find any documentation about these studs, I don't even know their proper name and they are used all over the car. The threads are 6mm, the knurled diameter is .260in (6.60mm). The hole in the mount is between 15/64 and 1/4in (5.95-6.35mm). Does anyone know the appropriate pilot hole to make in the bulkhead? My guess would be 15/64 or but I don't want to experiment if someone knows the answer.

I promise to post a build thread but I've been too busy working on it to document the twists and turns.

Last edited:
be careful- I snapped a few of those, lol- just drill a hole in the fender to test...ok, no really,my best guess would be the outer diameter of the threads, or find yer trusty digital micrometer and measure the old hole :)

Common name is a knurled stud. Usually the pilot hole is somewhere between 0.008-0.012 smaller than the knurl measurement.

Thanks @jimmyx. Checking the mount hole with my metric vernier gives 6.3mm or .248in as the largest diameter so that agrees. I'll use a D drill (.246in/6.25mm) and see how that works. If it is too tight, I'll go to an E drill (.250in/6.35mm).
I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Last edited:
Thanks @jimmyx. Checking the mount hole with my metric vernier gives 6.3mm or .248in as the largest diameter so that agrees. I'll use a D drill (.246in/6.25mm) and see how that works. If it is too tight, I'll go to an E drill (.250in/6.35mm).
I'll let you guys know how it goes.
Another choice would be to use a Riv Nut/Riv Stud which is less fussy from a hole diameter perspective but one can install one without the correct tool but the tool is cheap.

Neither is as cheap as reusing a press in stud :)

There are low cost versions of this available nearly everywhere.

Back