LED Headlights

I have the same opinion and are interested in these one with ECE certificate: https://www.ltprtz.com/7-LED-Hauptscheinwerfer-PHANTOM-mit-Standlicht-ECE-chrom
They offer them in chrome or black. The latter should match my white X :) Price for a pair is Euro 300. You will find much nicer ones with a Daylight LED bar on their website, but with an exorbitant price. Do you needs this when you've got pop-up headlights?
It really doesn't make a lot of sense to have a daytime running light or similar feature on the headlight with pop-up lights. I am mounting a separate set of little LEDs behind the grill to act as daytime running lights and the turn signals.

I saw this test of 7" LED headlights, and would think twice about using them over halogen now.

Actually that also demonstrates what I've said before. It is critical that the light unit be properly designed as a LED specific assembly from the beginning. Every aspect of all components must be engineered accordingly; housing, reflector, shield, lens, bulb, etc. I had this conversation with a engineer from Hella a few years ago at the SEA show. He was explaining all of the research and development that goes into making the LED headlights for specific OEM applications. It is quite involved and very expensive to do. And it's unlikely most of those lights in that test spent the money and time to do that. Just because it is a LED light does not necessarily mean it was properly designed. Many of the ones tested appear to be poorly done; even looking at them you can see they are very gimmicky. Most likely they had no real engineering in their design but were thrown together to get something on the market to make money. That is extremely common in the aftermarket automotive industry. And that is a primary goal of the SEMA organization, to try and prevent that.

I have the same opinion and are interested in these one with ECE certificate: https://www.ltprtz.com/7-LED-Hauptscheinwerfer-PHANTOM-mit-Standlicht-ECE-chrom

OMG, absolutely puke man. I guess folks are lucky the lights are covered most of the time. And €300 for that!?!?

I'd take these any any any day...

Actually that also demonstrates what I've said before. It is critical that the light unit be properly designed as a LED specific assembly from the beginning. Every aspect of all components must be engineered accordingly; housing, reflector, shield, lens, bulb, etc. I had this conversation with a engineer from Hella a few years ago at the SEA show. He was explaining all of the research and development that goes into making the LED headlights for specific OEM applications. It is quite involved and very expensive to do. And it's unlikely most of those lights in that test spent the money and time to do that. Just because it is a LED light does not necessarily mean it was properly designed. Many of the ones tested appear to be poorly done; even looking at them you can see they are very gimmicky. Most likely they had no real engineering in their design but were thrown together to get something on the market to make money. That is extremely common in the aftermarket automotive industry. And that is a primary goal of the SEMA organization, to try and prevent that.
Agreed 100% Jeff. there are a lot of trash headlights out there just like anything else you can buy, there are even trash halogen headlights out there. But you can buy good quality LED headlights that look bone stock yet out perform Helgon headlights by a factor of 4. Far brighter, far wider light pattern which makes them far safer to drive at night. You also get far less voltage draw and far longer life. Until very recently Auto headlights have used common sourced LEDs, it's only been very recently that the industry has started manufacturing LEDs designed specifically for automotive use so you can expect a good increase in the capabilities already stated with the new generation just coming out.

At this point in time I can't see any valid reason, outside of saving a few dollars, you would use vastly inferior technology for such a important safety feature especially when you consider how many old set of eyes we have driving our cars. Just my opinion again.

Agreed 100% Jeff. there are a lot of trash headlights out there just like anything else you can buy, there are even trash halogen headlights out there. But you can buy good quality LED headlights that look bone stock yet out perform Helgon headlights by a factor of 4. Far brighter, far wider light pattern which makes them far safer to drive at night. You also get far less voltage draw and far longer life. Until very recently Auto headlights have used common sourced LEDs, it's only been very recently that the industry has started manufacturing LEDs designed specifically for automotive use so you can expect a good increase in the capabilities already stated with the new generation just coming out.

At this point in time I can't see any valid reason, outside of saving a few dollars, you would use vastly inferior technology for such a important safety feature especially when you consider how many old set of eyes we have driving our cars. Just my opinion again.
Good point about there being inferior halogen lights as well. For years before LED technology existed there were plenty of debates about the good and bad halogen lights, which ones to get and what to avoid.

I bought a set of the LEDs and headlights MWB is offering. I have H4s in EU motorcycle housings today.

I will post up a photo comparison of the two in the near future. Since we are at
The longest day of the year and my bedtime is near sundown :) it may be a few weeks until I am up late enough to post them up.

The MWB housings have a reflector in front of the bulb so the glare problem shouldn’t be an issue. I can also switch in an H4 into the same MWB housing as a comparison. The H4 bulbs have a built in reflector

We shall see. The investment wasn’t too dear so if they aren’t great it’s a small thing.

I bought a set of the LEDs and headlights MWB is offering. I have H4s in EU motorcycle housings today.

I will post up a photo comparison of the two in the near future. Since we are at
The longest day of the year and my bedtime is near sundown :) it may be a few weeks until I am up late enough to post them up.

The MWB housings have a reflector in front of the bulb so the glare problem shouldn’t be an issue. I can also switch in an H4 into the same MWB housing as a comparison. The H4 bulbs have a built in reflector

We shall see. The investment wasn’t too dear so if they aren’t great it’s a small thing.
If I'm not mistaken aren't the MWB housings used in the kit with LED bulbs actually regular H4 housings?

Motorcycle H4 housings have a very different lens than automotive H4 housings. Bikes give a much broader pattern without much reduction to oncoming traffic, plus less upward/downward cutoff. They also have a different lens giving a different forward projection. And if they are the Euro designated ones then any reduction will be on the right side vs left (for US traffic).

If I'm not mistaken aren't the MWB housings used in the kit with LED bulbs actually regular H4 housings?

Motorcycle H4 housings have a very different lens than automotive H4 housings. Bikes give a much broader pattern without much reduction to oncoming traffic, plus less upward/downward cutoff. They also have a different lens giving a different forward projection. And if they are the Euro designated ones then any reduction will be on the right side vs left (for US traffic).

That's because most motorcycle people ride around with their brights on all the time--it's kind of their thing, supposedly (in their eyes) in the name of safety.

"Blind other people, at least you can see me and I don't die" kind of logic.

The reduction on the right is only for UK right hand drive. The majority by Bosch etc will be low on the left and high on the right.

That's because most motorcycle people ride around with their brights on all the time--it's kind of their thing, supposedly (in their eyes) in the name of safety.

"Blind other people, at least you can see me and I don't die" kind of logic.
The motorcyclists I rode with always told me that because the lights were always on, you would use up the high beam first. The low beam would still be available for your night time riding.

The reduction on the right is only for UK right hand drive. The majority by Bosch etc will be low on the left and high on the right.
Agreed. I've always heard the RHD lighting/lens design referred to as the "European" style lights. It's not technically correct, as most of Europe is not RHD, but that's what I call them anyway. ;)

Agreed. I've always heard the RHD lighting/lens design referred to as the "European" style lights. It's not technically correct, as most of Europe is not RHD, but that's what I call them anyway. ;)

What you call "European lights" can be either LHD in pattern or RHD in pattern. Obviously the light flip ups go different directions between the two styles but are otherwise the same.

You do not want to run RHD lights on Right hand traffic/LHD roads else you blind oncoming cars.

Some European light housings are actually switchable between LHD and RHD. I have a car like that.

Here is a pic of the LED DRLs that I had installed, nice to have some light all the time.

IMG_8337.jpeg

Back