Anyone repaired a broken rear grill?

545days

True Classic
I'm slowly working to breathe life back into a neglected 1976 Scorpion. Several of the fasteners are broken off the plastic rear grill. Has anyone successfully repaired a rear grill via plastic welding? Epoxy? Other methods? The previous owner used what appears to be polyurethane glue, which was less than satisfactory.

Any advice from someone who has done it would be greatly appreciated.

Use black ABS pipe solvent glue. Used it in several Scorpion parts over the years. Sectioning ABS pipes/fittings can also be used to repair missing pieces

I have fixed 2 of the studs on my 1976. I used a good plastic 2 part glue, and let it setup over night.
This was a few months ago, so fare so good.

Thanks for the advice. I'm missing some chunks, and will definitely try making fillers from ABS pipe. I have replacement threaded inserts on order.

I probably won't get started until 4th of July weekend. With your input and a little more research, I plan to take a stab at plastic welding. I'll take pictures and post a "how- to." Hopefully it won't turn into a "how not to do."

Quick tip to transfer holding pressure off the single point. Fab up some small brackets
14DE218D-9FD0-4B98-824E-F3A12B597D70.jpeg
09DE3CF5-449F-4562-B42D-F1EA59872A85.jpeg

I had a severely broken rear grill. Broken in half with all but 2 tabs broken. It is now fixed, is strong and looks good. I made glue and a slurry out of acetone and black legos. I used the glue to put it back together. I then reinforced the back where broken with the slurry. Missing areas I used tape to make a mold and then poured in the slurry. I even fixed the stud areas by first pouring slurry into the correct shape. Then glued on the studs. Then used tape again to make a mold and poured the slurry around the stud. It worked great.

Attachments

• 20221018_152510.jpg
    20221018_152510.jpg
    404 KB · Views: 63
I had a severely broken rear grill. Broken in half with all but 2 tabs broken. It is now fixed, is strong and looks good. I made glue and a slurry out of acetone and black legos. I used the glue to put it back together. I then reinforced the back where broken with the slurry. Missing areas I used tape to make a mold and then poured in the slurry. I even fixed the stud areas by first pouring slurry into the correct shape. Then glued on the studs. Then used tape again to make a mold and poured the slurry around the stud. It worked great.
This is a great idea, thanks for sharing will definitely be using this for my 77

Back