Rich mixture when re-cranking and engine is hot

81x

X'ing Fixing
Hello all,
81' FI X.
Lately I'm dealing with hard cranking while the engine is on working temp.
First start up when cold is immediate and the car runs great, steady idle and everything.
But when shuting down and starting again, even after few minutes of driving, it's obviously flooded, takes a few times and few seconds each until it cranked.
Where should I aim my efforts?
I have a suspect or two but rather hear more experienced people than I am.
I don't mind the costs, just that shipping and importing are exhausting and I want to be accurate.

Thank you.

I assume that this is a carbureted car. If so, this is fairly normal, especially with the more volatile modern fuels. After shut down when the engine is warm, the fuel may tend to boil in the float chamber and flodd over into the intake. Two things that help are: (1) maintain the carb cooling fan system to help drop the intake temperature during very warm or hot days, and (2) keep your foot off the accelerator pedal during a hot restart. Oddly, the original instructions on the visor of new cars was pretty on point about this. I skip the step 2 part and get instant starts no matter how hot.
IMG_1866.jpg

The first thing to do is download the FI manual. It has a step by step process to check each subsystem. This document can be found in the WIKI.

The things I would expect to be an issue are the coolant temperature sensor and its wiring (mounted to the thermostat housing) or the thermo time switch.

Though they would be my suspects, I would go through the entire process to ensure you find all the problems.
Hello all,
81' FI X.
Lately I'm dealing with hard cranking while the engine is on working temp.
First start up when cold is immediate and the car runs great, steady idle and everything.
But when shuting down and starting again, even after few minutes of driving, it's obviously flooded, takes a few times and few seconds each until it cranked.
Where should I aim my efforts?
I have a suspect or two but rather hear more experienced people than I am.
I don't mind the costs, just that shipping and importing are exhausting and I want to be accurate.

Thank you.

Reactions: 81x
Sorry for late reply.
LarryC, it's fuel injected. Thanks.
Karl, thanks, I will download it.
Those are my suspects also, along with the cold start valve. In the meantime I cleaned it, didn't seems so dirty but the next hot crank was a bit shorter.
A new cold start sensor is on the way.

Back