‘86 Bertone Radiator Cooling Fan CFM

aperdomojr

Daily Driver
has anyone ever measured or referenced the CFM that a fan pulls? Want to upgrade mine but want to make sure I’m well in excess of the stock fans rated capacity.

I don't have the answer to that question. But I do wish we had that answer. For now, what I can say is, do not get one of the "quiet" fans with the curved blades. You want a straight paddle blade 10 inch fan. The best way to measure the CFM is to attach a fan to a large bag of known volume and time how long it takes to fill the bag. A worthy experiment.

Great question. Especially considering many of the aftermarket universal electric fans actually have fairly low CFM's. A good high-output electric fan draws a lot of current and makes a fair amount of noise, regardless of design. And that seldom comes at a low price.

One of my engineering buddies in college was measuring CFM by taping a bunch of trash bags together into a big tube, measuring the time to fill with the fan, and calculating the volume of the tube the bags formed. That would get you a ballpark figure.

That’s a good quantity way to do so, Summit Racing has a extensive collection of fans all posted with CFM ratings so I guess it’s time to experiment and determine the CFM to the stock fans

I searched the archives and didn't see an answer to this stock fan CFM question.

It will be very interesting to hear any results from testing the actual CFM of the stock fans. Finding a replacement aftermarket unit with at least as much (or more) air flow would be important. And with the aftermarket units being significantly lighter, and drawing less current for their capacity (i.e. being more efficient), they would be a definite upgrade to the stock cooling system (which is always a good thing). Finding ones with higher flow (CFM) than stock would be even more beneficial. Please let us know what you find out.

Back