“This must be a very fast car”

flaviaman

True Classic
A friend asked me to take her bored 8yo son, Henri, aka L’enfant terrible, for a short drive this weekend.

Mother was somewhat dismayed with my response to her question “how many airbags does it have.....

I was them instructed to strap Henri in, Henri had never been in a car with static seatbelts and quickly proclaimed:

“these are just like an airplane,this car must be very fast”!

B9370A51-8800-4AD4-BC48-D8488ABDAEED.jpeg

The next question was “where is the window switch?”

followed shortly by

”Where is the radio?”

I was expecting him to ask about a USB port but instead he asked if it had “an automatic antenna like your black car?” I have an old 308 and an electric antenna controlled by a toggle switch, this was factory fitment. Much to my annoyance Henri takes great delight in playing with it.

10 minutes later I return Henri to his mom and he quickly tells her “we went 87 mph!“. I have no idea how he arrived at that number, in reality it was about half that. To achieve 87mph in a Coupe, even with the lusty 903 unit, one either needs a long straight, preferably downhill, or else to be ejected from the cargo bay of a C130.

Being a bachelor to the best of my knowledge I have never fathered a kid, I am constantly amazed at what comes out of their months...

I was about that age when I took a drive with my uncle in his yellow Porsche 914 with the top off of course. I'm 55 and I still remember it like it was yesterday. Hopefully this boy will do the same.

I think it is just the way the light is hitting them, but are the inserts in your seats actually a lighter color than the surrounds? It sort of looks like dark grey and black, but I think they are all black. The two-tone effect (real or not) looks great. And that textured insert material is perfect, seats look great.

I think it is just the way the light is hitting them, but are the inserts in your seats actually a lighter color than the surrounds? It sort of looks like dark grey and black, but I think they are all black. The two-tone effect (real or not) looks great. And that textured insert material is perfect, seats look great.

it is just lighting, the seats are all black. The inserts are what I call “basket weave”, 850 Racers had them as well as Fiat Dino 2 liters and early Alfa 1750 GTV’s. While a hassle to clean I do believe it is cooler on hot days. Re-Originals supplied both materials.

Thanks for your kind words!

Grey would be nice however!

Last edited:
Basket weave was used on a lot of older Porsches also. Nice "period" look. But off hand I don't recall ever seeing it in grey, which is why the pic caught my attention - I love two-tone upholstery and would like to see a grey basket weave insert with black surrounds. ;)

Took a friend of mine for a ride in my X1/9 with her 4 yr old daughter on her lap. (I know, I know, I was driving very carefully on a road with no traffic so...) The 4 yr old enjoyed the ride very much. I got a big grin on my face when on a short straight road she got excited and pointed down the road and gleefully blurted out "CURVES!" :)

I recently took 5 kids (ages between 4 and 13) out for a ride in my 600. We drove around a quiet neighborhood and maybe got up to 15 mph. Still, the kids had a blast and so did I. :)

In 1978, my brother took me for a ride in his brand new trans am bandit edition. From my memories, I am sure we broke the sound barrier. For a kid my age, 9 at the time, it was an amazing experience.

In 1978, my brother took me for a ride in his brand new trans am bandit edition. From my memories, I am sure we broke the sound barrier. For a kid my age, 9 at the time, it was an amazing experience.
Please don't tell me he wore the "smoky" cowboy hat when driving it. :D
I have to say though - all joking aside, that movie sure has made the car a success even to this day.

Please don't tell me he wore the "smoky" cowboy hat when driving it. :D
I have to say though - all joking aside, that movie sure has made the car a success even to this day.
No hat, but he is 6'2" tall, built the same and has an infectious personality. So lots of similarities.

Back