1.6 8v PCV Catch Can

Joshe

Low Mileage
Building a 1.6l 8v turbo engine with a td04-09b. Will be getting new rings, cylinders honed, all new seals and gaskets. Want to put a catch can on it for extra safety since I will be running stock internals with low-ish boost (around 0.2 for every day and 0.8 bar for more fun days ;)). Anybody that has installed a catch can that could help with installing one?

I put a plastic rectangular radiator overflow tank (the universal model sold at most auto supply stores. It fits just fine in the left side well under the grille.

Attachments

• DSCN1073.JPG
    DSCN1073.JPG
    322.8 KB · Views: 95
Consider a oil/air vapor separator instead of a catch can. Look for the recent thread discussing this. Particularly with boost. ;)

With .2 bar boost you really won't find much improvement. However with .8 bar you definitely will. I'd say .5 to .7 is a good range for a conservative street engine without much risk of damage.

I put a plastic rectangular radiator overflow tank (the universal model sold at most auto supply stores. It fits just fine in the left side well under the grille

Consider a oil/air vapor separator instead of a catch can. Look for the recent thread discussing this. Particularly with boost. ;)

With .2 bar boost you really won't find much improvement. However with .8 bar you definitely will. I'd say .5 to .7 is a good range for a conservative street engine without much risk of damage.
Will look for one. Also the boost will be regulated by a two stage manual boost controller ;)
Thank you both!

I put a plastic rectangular radiator overflow tank (the universal model sold at most auto supply stores. It fits just fine in the left side well under the grille.
Any more close up pictures of where the pcv valve is? And where did you connect it to the manifold?

Any more close up pictures of where the pcv valve is? And where did you connect it to the manifold?
There is a difference between a "positive crankcase ventilation" and a oil catch can or vapor separator. Although they are not necessarily mutually exclusive.

Typically a PVC system is connected to the intake as a source of vacuum to draw vapor from the engine. Whereas a typical catch can (or separator) does not connect to the intake and therefore does not utilize vacuum to draw vapor. Instead it allows free breathing for any crankcase pressure to exit.

However a catch can or oil vapor separator can be connected to a vacuum source to further draw the vapor out. The advantage here - particularly with a separator - is the oil in the vapor is caught in the can and not sucked into the engine (as it is with normal PVC).

Back