1075 engine?

well I've only done one 1050, and it came to me with an Abarth belt kit installed, so I sort of assumed it was a production piece...if you've had several NOS were they A112 A2.000 or A112 A1.000 engine codes? Same with the plex ignition, that didn't find it's way on to all models, but the 70hp engine had it..for some years.

Yes Triger/Graf and Abarth are all much of a muchness except for the name cast in the cover... I have a couple on the shelf right now, one suit 850 (no fuel pump boss in the front cover) and 127/panda/a112 with the fuel pump mounting cast in...both are graf units I've had for 20 years plus... hard to find them these days, fortunately you can still get the belts the rest just doesn't wear out. Nice thing about these ones is they have provision for multiple timing positions, from 0 to 4 degrees advance/retard on the cam gear, and it would be also possible to make the gear vernier adjustable for the ultimate OHV.

SteveC

Last edited:
When I had Paul vander Heyden put my 903/1050 engine together, he strongly advised against using the Triger belt setup. He said that new belts weren't being produced and could be many years old and therefore at risk of failing. And since a failed belt could cause some costly internal damage, my engine has a standard chain setup. Paul's advice was from about 8 or so years ago and maybe new belts have been produced since? I had the belt drive kit at one point and sold it. Still have a new belt I bought for it. The belt drive does look sexy tho. I also have a reverse rotation gear set that I bought from Paul to use with an 850 performance cam. These gears are allegedly very noisy.

Most European racers do not use the belt. The issue is that the belt has no tensioner and at high rpm the cam timing is more accurate with the chain. This more than offsets the weight advantage.

if you've had several NOS were they A112 A2.000 or A112 A1.000 engine codes? Same with the plex ignition, that didn't find it's way on to all models, but the 70hp engine had it..for some years.

The NOS 1050 (1049cc) engines were A2.000. The A1.000 was the Series 1 A112 Abarth with 982cc, 74mm stroke with 65mm bore similar to the Abarth OT1000 (essentially the OT1000 guts inside a 127 100GL block). I got this A1.000 from a friends '72 A112 Abarth when he upgraded it to a later 1050/5-speed driveline. :)

a112g.JPG a112a.JPG

The Plex ignition was a 1050 item, as the 982 had a regular points-type distributor.

Back