124 Special running better

JimD

Waiting for Godot...
I have it running much better with a new DFEV carb. I played with the idle and mixture settings till I found a spot that wasn't too high, but still kept the oil pressure light happy when it is idling in gear (it's an automatic). I also changed the oil twice this month and it doesn't smell of gas anymore.

Next project will be brakes. They work OK, but there is an initial pull to the left when stopping. I worked on all the calipers last year when I got the car because they were completely rusted in place. I wire brushed everything and then regreased all the sliders to get it to where it is now.

And... temp gauge is scary, but when I check the actual temps around the engine bay with a laser they seem within spec. Pretty much between 170F and 190F depending on where you aim. Rad looks crusty and I might replace it eventually. The fan cycles regularly and the AF stays nice and green. I can "see" the stat open and close by watching the gauge, so I know that is happening. I guess I am used to the X gauge behavior and this one is different.

Shined up the 124 Special for Cars'n'Coffee tomorrow morning. First time it will be at a car event other than last years FFO. Should be fun.

Out of curiosity, what jetting are you using on the DFEV.

Congrats on the outing too! Those CnC events are pretty huge around here but I haven't made it to one yet.

Chris G

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jetting...

Hi Chris

I really don't know what the jetting is. I bought the DFEV from Carbs Unlimited as a special Redline Kit (K518) that is designed for 1971-1974 Fiats. I think it is really meant for the DOHC engines, but there were some 71 OHV engines in the list. My 124 is a 72 and the old failing DHSA1 the 124 had on it was listed among the various carbs the DFEV was intended to replace, so I went with DFEV.

I will say that the kits are not very informative. It comes with a set of base tuning instructions and some limited trouble shooting info, but no description of what is in the carb. I will look thru it all again and see if I just missed it, but if you follow the link you will see even the web page has pretty much zero info on what you are getting. :(

On the up side, it is working pretty well. Not perfect, but so much better than the original carb.

Thanks. Perhaps it's the "stock" jetting. I've been trying different jetting with one on a 1608.

Chris G

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sigh

Well Chris, I may be starting down that jetting path as well. I thought I had it running pretty well and it is running really well on the highway, but it is trying to die every time I press the accel pedal to leave a stopped position. Well not every time, but often enough that I know it isn't right.

Once I get the starter issue resolved I will be back to playing with the carb. It is drivable as long as I let it warm up before taking off and then remain attentive to the off idle issue.

Back