128 coupe dash disassembling help

ghostdancing

True Classic
in my car there is an oil press gauge fitted in the passenger side dash rectangular cover.

the gauge doesnt work (i alredy mounted a new sender on the motor block as the old one was leaking a drop of oil)..i would like to investigate more, so i need to disassemble the rectangular cover.. can i get off the cover without disassembling the main dash body? i alredy tried (very gently) to pry it with a screwdriver blade,but dont want do damage..and looks like the cover want go off so easy..

i attach a picture found in the web..in my car there is only 1 gauge (not 3) and an ugly digital clock that i want remove..
dash.jpg

If my memory is any good, those panels have small tabs on the back that are bent over to hold the panel in place. The best way to remove it is to remove the dash, or at least loosen it to get behind the dash. You may be able to carefully pry the panel from the front but with much risk to damaging the panel or the dash.

I think that panel was held on with bent over metal tabs that you accessed from behind. Maybe if you dropped the lower tray panel you can reach up behind that panel. Since adding the gauge was a custom job, who knows what the previous owner did to attach

Back