128 coupe steering rack removal\installation

ghostdancing

True Classic
i must fit a new steering rack: can you explain what does involve? mechanic guy says that the gear box is in the way and must be moved some few centimeters to get the room for removing the rack.. how to make the job in the correct way?

Should be fairly easy and does not involve the engine or transmission. You have to remove the steering shaft from the steering box, this is done from inside the cabin. It's a spline joint and you remove the pinch bolt and pull the shaft off.
Separate the ball joints at the ends of the steering rack. There are two brackets that hold the rack to the fire wall. I believe on the 128 sedans and SLs there are studs on the firewall and you just undo the two nuts for each clamp and the rack should come free from the car.

It's one of those jobs that if you are doing it for the first time it could take an hour and after you know what you are doing it takes 15 minutes.

thank you Carl, this will be also the chance to remove the steering wheel (i bought a new wheel but was never able to remove the original one from the hub)

Removing the whole steering column after undoing the pinch bolt near the floor is pretty easy, just remember to unplug all the wires.

It is a bolt that passes through a collar that encircles the pinion shaft coming out of the steering rack.

On a Fiat it will be inside the passenger compartment just above your feet.

This image is a general image from another car.

02D26961-39BD-4FC7-BAB9-96AF71A739F9.jpeg

Yep, but the Fiat shaft will be splined rathe than squared as shown in the picture, same idea. You will need 13mm wrench and socket (or two 13mm wrenches) to get the bolt off. The bolt goes transverse to the shaft and the nut will typically be a nylock, no big deal.

yes, i saw the collar on the floor..so unscrew this collar and pull out the rack from the engine bay? or must prior pull the steering group (wheel and all ) in the cabin?

In theory, just like you said but remember, the collar bolt has to be removed as it slides in a groove in the column above the splines. If there is enough play in the two universal joints on the steering column, you may be able to pull the end out of the steering rack without removing the steering wheel assembly, I just don't recall if there is enough wiggle room.

Back