128 front sway bar question

Karfrik

Albert
Hi guys, upon working on my 128 fron t suspension i pulled the sway bar out in order to replace all its bushings.To my surprise i found like shimming washers on both ends.One side has like 10-12 of them.So is this normal?...can the s/bar be shimmed for what purpose?...or was it that the bushings holding it to the steering arms were gone and they put washers instead of rubber bushings?....

If you mean round shims at the end of the bar (behind the thick washer which holds in the rubbers) they are to adjust the CASTER of the suspension.

Sway bar end bushes come in many varying qualities and styles...also make sure the nylon bush where the sway bar passes thru the lower control arm is still intact, and the steel sleeve isn't rusty.

SteveC

If you mean round shims at the end of the bar (behind the thick washer which holds in the rubbers) they are to adjust the CASTER of the suspension.

Sway bar end bushes come in many varying qualities and styles...also make sure the nylon bush where the sway bar passes thru the lower control arm is still intact, and the steel sleeve isn't rusty.

SteveC

Yeap, round washers all looking the same.
Thanks Steve

Or you can change out the outer sway bar rubbers for ones from a late ritmo... comes with the inner tube vulcanised to the rubber, and moulded so the nylon bush thru the LCA is deleted... looks like this.
ritmo inner sway bar bush kit.jpg

I've found these bushes last a lot longer and with the different design of cupped washer, don't get squeezed out (like the 128 sedan ones tend to)

Usually there are only 2 or 3 caster shims on either end of the sway bar.... if yours had 10/12 washers on one side something isn't right...

SteveC

Last edited:
Or you can change out the outer sway bar rubbers for ones from a late ritmo... comes with the inner tube vulcanised to the rubber, and moulded so the nylon bush thru the LCA is deleted... looks like this.
View attachment 3272

I've found these bushes last a lot longer and with the different design of cupped washer, don't get squeezed out (like the 128 sedan ones tend to)

Usually there are only 2 or 3 caster shims on either end of the sway bar.... if yours had 10/12 washers on one side something isn't right...

SteveC

They look like the ones i got from Andrea Venci in Croatia....gonna check on them

Back