128 oil return pipe

Dalbello

Daily Driver
This maybe a dumb question but I have a 1300cc engine for my 128 sedan and there is no oil return pipe in the oil pan, this doesn't seem right since my spider has a return pipe. Is there something I am missing or did they not use it. The engine is from a 78' two door sedan.

thanks
Rino

Every 128 and X I have played with had an oil return pipe just like your spider has. Look for the insert hole and bolt hole for the return pipe just inboard of the oil pan mounting surface. I guess the oil return being gravity fed that the engine would function fine without the pipe in normal street use but I'd still try and source one. I'm sure you looked but I wonder if it got loose and fell into the sump?

Thanks Carl

There was no return pipe, I have the oil pan out and cleaned and there was no pipe, I was putting it back together and thought were was the pipe and there wasn't one. I have to source one and put it in.

thanks

I'm sure I can dig up an extra if you can't find one locally.

A point of interest, the early motors (1116cc only?) apparently had two drain tubes, the second coming off the flywheel end main bearing like this:

engine-small.jpg

Back