128 Photos

Here's one. This photo was taken at a cars & coffee some years ago. I've since taken the numbers and lettering off. Left the white circles, though.
Fiat128sl_1975.jpg

I have had two 128s, a trackday/street two door and a wagon and an SL. Loved the SL the most and I wouldn't mind having another one. Obviously I don't own any of them anymore.

IMG_7059[1].JPG
IMG_7217.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1759.JPG
    IMG_1759.JPG
    454.3 KB · Views: 73
Well, I consider the SL as not really a 128. Kind of like calling a 124 sedan a 124 coupe!
And come to think of it, I had two SLs but one never made it beyond a body and boxes of parts.
Good thing I didn't see that wagon while I was building mine....CG has it now.

you get an F for arithmetic... 1+1+1 =3 :)

They also made a 4 door wagon... a 128 Rural

as well as a 2 door, but with only one hinged rear window

View attachment 67466

View attachment 67467

SteveC
Interesting! I did not know that... Like most 4 doors though, it's a lot less cool than the 2 door.... But I may be biased as I can never really see the point of a 4 door... The front seats move, just get in the back seat! Do you really need your own door?🥱

As for doors 3 and 4, Can't wait to see you ask your mother in law to climb in through the front door and work around your pushed forward front seat! Even dogs don't like to climb in that way (they always seem to think they deserve to ride in the front passenger seat). But for us, style is everything and rightfully so. Oddly, the 124 sedan/wagon were only four door and they look great. As I recall, the iconic BMW 2002 sedan was only a 2 door.

Not a big deal for me as the dogs are all gone and no one wants to ride in any Fiat tin top I had. The daughters don't even like Xs, they grew up with spiders and in their minds that's the only "proper" Fiat.

Nope .. She wouldn't ride in anything without A/C anyway.. When she comes to town we usually rent something..😆 We have the 500E, but if we're driving too far it doesn't have the range, and the BMW is a 2 seater... My Mom however, rides in the 128 all the time 😁

Are that X1/9 mirrors on this car? They seem to fit very well but how do you adjust them?

I think those are known as Baby Turbo, from Vitaloni. I like that they are adjustable enough so the passenger side is actually useful. Other mirrors I have need one of those little stick on mirrors just for backing the car up. Barely useful for driving in traffic.

As for adjusting, I have the screws tightened enough the mirrors stay in place but I can still move them if I need to. Because they stick out I'm concerned if I tighten them too much someone might bump it and damage my door. I can get to the screws but just pulling the boot back. You might be able to see that in the picture between the mirror and the base.

I see pictures of other x19s with the mirror known as Baby Tornado. I would like to try a set, but all the Vitaloni stuff has pricing that makes me keep putting that idea off.

Last edited:
Bjorn, I just remembered I tried to use a set of these mirrors on my other 128sl and the passenger side didn't work so well.

I went to the garage and now see that on the red car the passenger side has the plastic shaved enough that the mirror can be useful. Those mirrors were on the car when I got it.. Sorry to mislead.

I think I might try to make a 3d printed part that can fit between the mirror base and the door, as a test. I have a couple extra sets of these that I could put to use.

Doesn't anyone else drive a 128? I feel a little guilty posting all these pics...🫣
(Not really though 😸) I am using it as a daily driver these days, so there's bound to be some photo opportunities...
No, but if I could find a decent one here, I'd pick one up. At one point I wanted to build a fleet of vehicles that use the 128 engine (128 sedan, 128 SL, Yugo, and ???)

Ok, Bjorn and others... I'm going to have to edit my comments one more time regarding these mirrors.

I compared one I have on the shelf and the passenger side installation on the 128sl. It only appeared that the ball and socket arrangement had been modified.

It is now also obvious to me there are 2 ball and socket joints, one on each end of the arm between the base and the mirror head. It felt like I might break it, but I was able to move the mirror head end until the mirror almost touched the base. Now I see these mirrors are a good choice for the passenger side without any modification.

I get pissed when I (or someone else) walks by the passenger side and knocks the mirror out of alignment and then I have to go all through the process of adjusting, driving, adjusting, driving....until I get it reset correctly.

Back