128 sedan extra wires in dash

Dalbello

Daily Driver
I removed the dash from 1978 128 sedan and found these extra wires that were wrapped up and not being used. They were factory wrapped. I can not figure out what they are for or would be for. The wiring diagram in the manual does not show these wires so I was wondering if anyone here would know what these wires are for? There are 6 wires. ideas radio or ??

pic attached showing the wires
IMG_20200212_2010311.jpg

thanks
Rino

Can you give an approximate location, that is, center of the dash, down near the heater etc.? Anything obviously missing in the dash? Usually emissions related items, seat belt buzzer, etc could have been removed by a previous owner.

The wires are approximately in the middle of the dash, in the center, nothing was close by to attach. All switches and lights were connected, so nothing was missing a wire. The dash was never removed before so it was puzzling why these were just wrapped up.

The cars were sold in a lot of markets so the wires could have been for something that was not installed for the North America market.
Maybe if you list all the wire colors someone with a comprehensive wiring diagram can chase it down.
US late 70s Fiats had tons of emissions devices, many of which had electrical components although admittedly most of them were under the hood. Also with them being separate connectors they might go to multiple items. If everything electrical on your car works you may just want to forget about them...although if you are like me it will drive you crazy not knowing what they are for.

can it be the wiring loom for the oil press\water temp cluster gauges (as found in the rally version, in the centre of the dash)?

i would try to follow the wires to see where they actually go

another device not present on all versions was the rear screen defroster

My car has the rear window defroster and the switch and wire are connected. I thought about the oil press and water temp but my gauge package has the water temp already. I might try and trace the wires but they lead into the main wiring which is all wrapped up and more difficult to follow. thanks

Look for similarly loose wires in the engine bay. US 128s had lots of relays on the driver front fender area.

I removed the dash from 1978 128 sedan and found these extra wires that were wrapped up and not being used. They were factory wrapped. I can not figure out what they are for or would be for. The wiring diagram in the manual does not show these wires so I was wondering if anyone here would know what these wires are for? There are 6 wires. ideas radio or ??

pic attached showing the wiresView attachment 29274

thanks
Rino

Whats involved in order to remove the dash?...any pics?....thanks!!

From memory having replaced a dash last year: remove instrument cluster (one screw, speedo cable, and two wire connectors) remove the package tray hanging from the dash, and choke / throttle control. There are four nuts attached to captive bolts from the dash that pass through the firewall.

From memory having replaced a dash last year: remove instrument cluster (one screw, speedo cable, and two wire connectors) remove the package tray hanging from the dash, and choke / throttle control. There are four nuts attached to captive bolts from the dash that pass through the firewall.

Thanks!!

The wires could be for the rare factory a/c. In 1977 I came close to purchasing a new wagon that had factory a/c, only 128 I ever saw with factory a/c. The car had sat for some time and was already rusting on the lot...my reason for not purchasing.

I have a factory wiring diagram for 1978 North America Version of the 128 (I need to scan this one day since '78s are pretty common for a 128, and the Haynes manual doesn't cover the late stuff well). It's hard to see all the wire colors in your photo but I'm guessing it's for the radio. Item 70 is the "cable preset for car radio." It shows 6 connectors:

1. Black; Black (2 wires) - Ground
2. Red-Green - Power (via ignition switch)
3. Red-Black - Right Door Speaker
4. White-Black - Right Door Speaker
5. Red-Black - Left Door Speaker
6. Black-Purple - Left Door Speaker

Back