128 short shifter review

There were captive nuts inside the tunnel to mount the shifter. My plate's holes were large enough to go around the nuts, and was the same thickness (around 3mm) Then I bolted down the shifter with titanium bolts that were longer than they needed to be and used a titanium fender washer and nylock...

Last edited:
So what is different in the new version vs. the old version?
New version on left, original on the right...
My first idea was to make the black spacer on the far right, but the mounting bolts are 6mm and would have been quite long. Seemed like it would be weak. Then I designed the new housing....

Attachments

• IMG_20200308_130200352~2.jpg
    IMG_20200308_130200352~2.jpg
    238.8 KB · Views: 154
I have 3 X 1/9 4 speed shift levers for anyone who wants pieces to customize. $7 each plus shipping. If you buy all 3 for $25, its free shipping to
continental US 48 states. Sorry, no international shipping.

Just bought one for my X. Couldn’t resist after seeing the beautiful quality. Hopefully it’ll arrive in decent time…..I had thoughts of modifying a 4 speed shaft as the attachment point is about a half an inch lower than the 5 speed but would rather have a beautifully machined piece rather than a hack job…

Just bought one for my X. Couldn’t resist after seeing the beautiful quality. Hopefully it’ll arrive in decent time…..I had thoughts of modifying a 4 speed shaft as the attachment point is about a half an inch lower than the 5 speed but would rather have a beautifully machined piece rather than a hack job…

Keep us posted on how you like it!!

Some of the pictures got mixed but there are some before and after shots…..the feel is very smooth and positive. The shaft is longer than stock but I’m used to driving a 5 spd pickup so I’ve grown accustomed to a longer shaft….(cough) …..plus the effort is greatly reduced because of the length.

It truly is a piece of artwork. It’s a shame to hide some of it with the boot.
I agree, it almost needs to be shown. The finish is nice enough that it's a shame the boot hides it. Maybe a cover plate could be made as a trim piece to go around the base instead of a boot?

The shorter throw is due to this difference (red arrows vs green arrows):

01470D02-612C-405D-9C66-DC23587424DC.jpg

The pivot point is moved up on the new one (hince the taller base), so the leverage is changed between the upper and lower portions of the shaft.

Update:
I took out my X today and got to experience the short shifter. It really does reduce throw significantly. I would estimate about 30 to 50 percent. Action is very smooth as well. Definitely worth the buy. I should also say that I kept the shaft length the same as in I didn’t shorten it at all.

Anybody knows how to install Short Shifter for 128 ? I have 1973 128 with 138 ritomo five speed mission. I tried to install short shifter from Classic Performance.com but once I installed, I can only use 3rd and 4th gear...
I'd like you to help me to solve the issue.
Thanks

Anybody knows how to install Short Shifter for 128 ? I have 1973 128 with 138 ritomo five speed mission. I tried to install short shifter from Classic Performance.com but once I installed, I can only use 3rd and 4th gear...
I'd like you to help me to solve the issue.
Thanks
I had a similar issue when first installed, it would pop out of 2nd and I couldn't get it into 5th.. Those side shields under the car on either side of the shifter hole interfere with the thicker short throw shifter arm. Also, you have to fine tune the forward/back adjustment of the lollypop to get all the gears. Too far forward and you won't get 2 or 4, too far back and you'll have trouble with 1-3-5... Also, the shift rod has a bend and must be installed in one direction only, if installed upside down you will not get all the gears. Still install the protective boot(not in picture), but leave the side shields off.😁
ShortShifter1.jpg
ShifterHole.jpg
ShifterHole2.jpg

Last edited:
I had a similar issue when first installed, it would pop out of 2nd and I couldn't get it into 5th.. Those side shields under the car on either side of the shifter hole interfere with the thicker short throw shifter arm. Also, you have to fine tune the forward/back adjustment of the lollypop to get all the gears. Too far forward and you won't get 2 or 4, too far back and you'll have trouble with 1-3-5... Also, the shift rod has a bend and must be installed in one direction only, if installed upside down you will not get all the gears. Still install the protective boot(not in picture), but leave the side shields off.😁View attachment 58983View attachment 58984View attachment 58985
Hi Adam, great collaboration results and photos. I do have a question regarding selection of reverse gear (and I apologize in advance if this was covered elsewhere). Does the spherical short shifter have a spring load where it can be "pushed down and over" to get the gear in reverse like the factory shifter or is there some other trick involved to get reverse gear? GT

I had a similar issue when first installed, it would pop out of 2nd and I couldn't get it into 5th.. Those side shields under the car on either side of the shifter hole interfere with the thicker short throw shifter arm. Also, you have to fine tune the forward/back adjustment of the lollypop to get all the gears. Too far forward and you won't get 2 or 4, too far back and you'll have trouble with 1-3-5... Also, the shift rod has a bend and must be installed in one direction only, if installed upside down you will not get all the gears. Still install the protective boot(not in picture), but leave the side shields off.😁View attachment 58983View attachment 58984View attachment 58985
Thank you for information. The shift rod looks different from mine. Have you bent it or bought it ?
There are almost no information in Japan, I need your help 😂

Hi Adam, great collaboration results and photos. I do have a question regarding selection of reverse gear (and I apologize in advance if this was covered elsewhere). Does the spherical short shifter have a spring load where it can be "pushed down and over" to get the gear in reverse like the factory shifter or is there some other trick involved to get reverse gear? GT
I tried but there were no tricks 🥲

Back