128 SL Coupe Project

Frame Rail Gusset Fabrication

Similar to the other parts but most of the flanges were arranged such that I wouldn't be able to bend them in the finger brake without messing up adjacent flanges. I wish I had a press brake... So everything was done with forms. Hammer-hammer-hammer...

128 SL Coupe Body Resto 2013-08-25 002s.jpg

128 SL Coupe Body Resto 2013-08-25 003s.jpg

128 SL Coupe Body Resto 2013-08-25 004s.jpg

Fit up:

128 SL Coupe Body Resto 2013-09-01 002s.jpg

Locating holes as in original parts:

128 SL Coupe Body Resto 2013-09-02 001s.jpg

128 SL Coupe Body Resto 2013-09-02 002s.jpg

128 SL Coupe Body Resto 2013-09-02 004s.jpg

Last edited:
Nice Job! Been there, done that! I actually really enjoyed this part of the build when I was doing it. Something really satisfying about getting it all back together. Mine just wasn't as pretty as yours! Out of curiosity, why not make a press brake? 1 bottle jack, a spring and some misc hardware and you should be in shape! Keep up the awesome job!

Thanks guys! I miss the old hybrid thread format that made it easier to break the thread into chunks but it's a small price to pay for an much more useable forum. I had to update all the old image links because my mira domain changed so now that that's handled I can keep adding on. I have a few more steps to post once I can sort through both camera and cell phone pics for the relevant bits. Also, now that my year of distraction with my Rally is wrapping up, I hope to get back on the Coupe in the new year.

Eric, you're right of course - making a press brake would be a good idea. It's just another project to add to my never ending list, and I'd get way carried away on... During a rare lull at work I spent some time machining up an adapter that allowed us to mount 6" lengths of press brake tooling on our hydraulic press, so I kind of have a head start. I have been wanting to build my own hydraulic press... dang, now you got me going! BTW, your repair may not have been quite as pretty but yours runs and drives!

Busted! That's what I get for making comments about people not posting in the FWD section. :D
It seems that December is the time when I have spare quiet time to edit photos and do writeups (usually late nights when visiting the family for holidays). So you'll have to wait another month...ha!
I haven't made any progress on the coupe this year (still plenty of old pics to catch up on though) so I had to dig through photos to remind myself what the heck has been going on. With all the cars, bicycles, and shop projects I end up with a lot of things running in parallel, or series, but basically dragging things out. There will be a few more build threads coming out of those. For now, a little sample of the next bits I'll post on the Coupe:

128 SL Coupe Body Resto 2014-07-05 002.JPG

Last edited:
With your obviously fantastic skill set I see no reason why you couldn't take a 128 SL body and slide it over an X1/9 floor pan for a mid engine SL. No reason to do this other than just because you can.

With your obviously fantastic skill set I see no reason why you couldn't take a 128 SL body and slide it over an X1/9 floor pan for a mid engine SL. No reason to do this other than just because you can.

Hmm... Interesting idea, Carl! I like it! I'll add it to the list, but the way way bottom of the list ;) That would also be fun to do to a Yugo, add Uno Turbo engine parts, and have a Yugoslavian version of a Renault Turbo2.

I know you are short on time and I'm retired so I think you should relocate to northern Virginia and then I could help out with your projects!

Moving would just be one more massive project I don't have time for! Ha! But if you know of any huge shops with living quarters for sale, let me know... If you're properly retired, shouldn't you have acquired an RV and been looking to relocate to a warmer southern climate? Like Charlotte ;) I coud definitely use the help! You already have hands-on experience with a good portion of my fleet.

sounds like a road-trip is in Courtney's future ......hopefully Carl keeps plenty of beer in the fridge !

love the hammer-forming
rgds
simon

Court, you are just a young punk so I'll explain that when you have three adult daughters who all live within two miles of you and thus five grandchildren who live within those same two miles, the wife will not leave the area! My retirement dream was to go to Amelia Island and after a hard day of beating myself up playing with Fiats I could head to the beach to relax until the wife called me on my cell to tell me dinner was ready. Reality is what it is and that dream down the tubes. That's why you have to move here and I'll be ecstatic to show up for work every day.

Simon, Court did a road trip up to my place years ago and drove off with a 128SL project and two tons of 128 parts.

I can only imagine, Carl... Two cats messed up my mobility enough ;)
And don't forget the follow up trip to Don's place to pick up your former 124 sedan and another two tons of parts.

Yeah, I definitely will. I actually started the coupe build thread as a standalone web page since Mira hadn't had the forum update at that point, and I've been stealing bits of the draft for this post.

Inner Fender Fabrication

The inner fender features a large oval embossed area where the bumper brackets attach. A doubler with dimples nests into the back side as well. I built a pressing tool to create the oval form. Originally, I thought the angle of the sides of the dimple were a 35-degree angle (it was difficult to measure) so I machined the form with the head of the Bridgeport tilted and then sanded the facets smooth. It ended up needing a 45-degree angle, which meant I could have machined it in a flat orientation (with a 45-degree end mill) and done the ends on the rotary table. Oh well.

128 SL Coupe Body Resto 2013-12-07 002.JPG

128 SL Coupe Body Resto 2013-12-07 004.JPG

For the female portion of the form I machined steps and then blended them by sanding. Again, if I had known it was 45-degrees life would have been easier...

IMAG1295s.jpg

IMAG1296s.jpg
IMAG1298s.jpg

The two halves of the form were aligned to the panel and to each other with bolts, then popped in a cheap hydraulic press.

IMAG1330s.jpg

The pressing of the test panel showed significant drawing of material from around the dimple, which resulted in some waves that I wouldn’t be able to remove. At this point I opted to trim the dimple out and then weld it into the panel.

IMAG1331s.jpg

Oh yeah, the template looked like this:

IMAG1325s.jpg

Last steps were to add holes for plug welding and run the bottom edge through the bead roller to create the joggled flange.

128 SL Coupe Body Resto 2014-07-05 002.JPG

Now on to my best effort at creating the portion of the inner fender behind the battery tray. It had some compound curves that made things interesting. I did my best to derive the flat shapes and straight bends, then filled in the rest with patchwork.

IMAG1336s.jpg

IMAG1366s.jpg

IMAG1368s.jpg

The large radius bends were formed by making small step bends in the finger brake and the size checked with a template.
IMAG1373s.jpg

IMAG1370s.jpg

IMAG1374s.jpg

Forming the 10 degree bend in the middle:

IMAG1375s.jpg

Checking fit:

IMAG1383s.jpg

We're getting closer to welding! But one more big part remains.

Last edited:
Is it true that the Velocity channel has asked you to do a series for them....no drama...no fake deadlines.....just us poor souls watching you do this work with rapt attention and our wives just shaking their heads and going back to check their facebook pages.

And here I was excited about filling in the bumper holes on my Bertone with fiberglass.

Dammit, now look Courtney, I don't know how bad your Redbull addiction is and all I can say is that there can be good quality of life after getting off the stuff. But I'll buy you a freakin' months supply (within reason mind you) if you shoot this work in video form and share it with us well meaning enablers!

Back