128 SL Coupe Project

Amazing. Sadly, no one who doesn't read this thread will ever know the effort that went into repairing this body.
True, but thankfully, anyone who does read this thread will know the amazing skill and talent Courtney possesses. (And the cool tools too!)

Amazing. Sadly, no one who doesn't read this thread will ever know the effort that went into repairing this body.

I'll have to publish an e-book when I finish the project in 30 years. ;)

Thanks for the kind words, all! I should be getting back on the body work very soon. I can't wait to see it on its wheels once again!

This is the thread that has inspired me to get back into some of my projects. The detail is simply amazing to witness.

Backing up a few posts, I've also used the Krud Kutter mentioned, both spray and brush on. It works, but usually needs more than one application and best when brushed on, let dry and turn white and brush again. Then it turns black.

I've had better results with stuff called Rust Kutter, from Tractor Supply. I think both products are basically phosphoric acid, but this one stays wet a very long time. I believe that's due to some surfactant that is added. I use good old WalMart great value dish detergent added to sprays I use in our farm pastures as a surfactant. Does a mean job with less chemical stuff needed in the sprayer.

The 128sl gas tank behind the.spray bottle was covered in surface rust before spraying about 4 hours ago.

Attachments

• 20181027_164417.jpg
    20181027_164417.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 119
I think it's pretty obvious he could make an entire SL from scratch but it might take Court a few hundred years to do it!

Reading Carl's post made me revisit mine from yesterday. The rust stuff I recommended does turn white after drying. I was commenting on its "better" handling of rust. Didn't mean to mislead.

No major updates... But some messaging with Ernie got me motivated to go back and edit all of my original posts to upload the photos directly to the forum since the links to my web site had broken. Enjoy the memories and try not to look at when I first started the thread... 😉
The new home garage/shop setup is inching closer to functionality, so hopefully I'll be back to fixing more rust in the spring or summer.

Excellent!! Looking forward to more fabrication methods, explanations and photos so the rest of us mere mortals can see how it’s done.👍🏻
Thank you for posting photos to the forum, they are truly invaluable!

Thank you for maintaining this thread Courtney, I am pulling the 1300 from the Familiare this week to begin the Honda Fit engine/trans swap placement head scratching. No doubt I will have to do some of the work you've pioneered in this. Be prepared for some/lots question peppering...

Thank you for maintaining this thread Courtney, I am pulling the 1300 from the Familiare this week to begin the Honda Fit engine/trans swap placement head scratching. No doubt I will have to do some of the work you've pioneered in this. Be prepared for some/lots question peppering...
I'll help if I can! That's a swap I've mused over before so I'll definitely be keeping an eye on your progress.

Back