1300->1500 conversion: Really this easy?

EricH

Eric Hamilton
I'm finally seriously embarking on my project to get a 1500/5spd drive train into a '74. I'm planning on a complete drivetrain transplant: carbed 1500 engine, flywheel, clutch, 5spd, driveshafts, and control arms+hubs.

It looks really straightforward, and I know it's been done many times.

Are there any serious pitfalls here? It looks as if the engine mounts from the 1500 will just bolt in. The 28/30 carb from the 1500 is going to get left behind, and I'll likely want to keep the four-into-two exhaust manifold from the 1300 engine. I'd also like to use the '74 exhaust mount, with the bracket on the transmission and the finger on the bottom engine/transmission mount.

Surely it can't be that straightforward?

You will need the five speed clutch/flywheel and starter motor, the five speed rear hubs (to suit the different outer CV joints), five speed axles (or frankenaxles) the five speed style rear struts, and the LHR control arm (or modify your existing four speed one) as this is shaped a little differently on the top face to give clearance to the gearbox... and the shifter (inside the car) from the five speed model ... as the four speed shift mechanism won't allow you to select fifth.

The early cars don't have a notch in the left rear chassis rail (for extra clearance to the gearbox) but I don't think this is an issue ... the notch is for HEAPS of clearance ... it might be a little close but shouldn't touch.

SteveC

Yes, its that easy.

I have a 5 speed in my '74 and have done this converstion on several cars. SteveC is basically correct.

However, you do NOT need the 5 speed style rear struts. The 4 speeds work just fine. Nor do you need the 5 speed control arms. If clearance is an issue, the 4 speed is easily trimmed.

You WILL need the 5 speed dust shield that goes between the engine and transmission. And depending on the year of your 1300 you may need the taller engine lid. My 74 lid wouldn't clear the dual DCNFs on the 1500. That is when it had a 1500 in it.

Also, if you use the 1300 32/32 carb you will want to use the intake manifold and port match it to the head.

All of the crossmembers and motor mounts will bolt right up. You can use the '74 4/2 exhaust manifold. It works great. As SteveC noted, you will need not only the 5 speed shifter but also the long rod in the tunnel as there are a couple of different versions and they don't all interchange.

Carb choice - a good problem to have

Not sure yet which carb goes on the 1500. Choices are:
1) I have Reyy's pair of 36 DCNFs with dual manifold.
2) I have a 34 DAT, which is probably about as close as I can get to the stock euro 1500 carb setup.
3) I have a stray 32 DATRA of dubious provenance
4) I have the 32 DMTRA that the 1300 came with

I can reject #3 because it's basically #4 with an automatic choke, and I'd just as soon keep the manual - this is a '74 after all. But beyond that? As I said, it's a good problem to have.

Back