1300 vs 1500 front brake calipers

Mickey Dale

True Classic
Hello all,

A friend here in the UK has a 1300cc X1/9. It has older, cast iron front calipers. He's having a few issues (non specific). I suggested he upgrade the calipers to the later type, but I couldn't tell him what the actual benefit would be! Do they cool better, being alloy? Is the piston larger on the later type? When I had a 1300, the calipers had been upgraded already.

All knowledge gratefully received!

Best wishes,

Mickey

I don't see a lot wrong with the caliper, but the disc looks a bit rusty around the perimeter and the caliper and pads should be a more snug fit to the disc. When the brakes are applied an observer should see the caliper just barely move. If it is moving a lot when the pedal is pressed, the pads are not bedded in properly, which could be due to new pads not run in yet, or a disc issue such as uneven wear or run-out. Another effect could be pad "knock off" where movement of the hub in the housing under high cornering loads causes the disc to run out and the pads to be pushed apart, though this is more a race car problem.

One-piece alloy calipers: cheaper to make, less unsprung weight, better heat dissipation. I don't think the piston diameter has ever changed.

Back