1500, 5speed to fit in 1300,4 speed

Yes it can definitely be done.
You'll need engine and gearbox complete with driveshafts and rear hubs.
You'll have to change the gear lever selection mechanism to be able to select 5th gear.
If you have access to a donor 1500 car, you'll have everything.
Strictly you may need to make clearance around the end of the gearbox in the frame rail and wishbone, but my 1300 had clearance already.
Post some pictures of your progress, if you go ahead.

Are you planning to use a carb or FI on the 1500?
You'll find that the throttle cable setup is different between the early car and the 1500. Use the valve cover from the 1300 and swap the links on the end of the shaft to match up.

Excuse the highjack, but I often wondered about the opposite: can a 1300 motor be used to replace a 1500 while keeping the 5-speed transmission?

Excuse the highjack, but I often wondered about the opposite: can a 1300 motor be used to replace a 1500 while keeping the 5-speed transmission?
I would assume the answer is yes. When I bought mine it had a 4 speed box with a 1500 engine.

If I recall correctly it had a 1300 flywheel, clutch and starter fitted to the 1500 engine.
I guess you'd have to do the opposite 1300 engine with a 1500 flywheel and clutch <<< I could be wrong, I'll happily be corrected if so.

Flywheel and starter go with the trans. both engines will bolt to either trans. You may have to add a couple studs to the 5spd trans. case to hang the exhaust support bracket if you're keeping the 1300 muffler.

Back