1600 tempra + 5speed lancia prisma gearbox on 128 coupe

ghostdancing

True Classic
a guy on subito.it offers me a 1600 from a tempra with a lancia prisma 1.5 5 speed box that he says are straight fit togheter in my 128 coupe the price is not bad (eu 600,00).
can i use the intake\exahust manifolds from my 1300 on the 1600 block? (maebe not ideal, but i'm not after max performance with this swap, just more driveability)
the guy says no problem for axles, i just have to buy bigger tripoid joints..

Yes that will work.
Is the transmission the same style with shift rod at the bottom or the newer top shifted style?

yes the trasmission should have the same layout of the 4speed, the seller says i have to cut some metal inside the cabin to allow further movement of the gear stick to select the fifth..
is it worthy to swap the 1600 camshaft with my early euro 1300 cam?
i plan to use a dmtr34 carburetor on the 1300 manifold to feed the motor..do you think this will work? any problem with the gas linkage?

Cam swap would be a good idea it your cam is the same as a super early 1300 X1/9 camshaft.
Otherwise, use a euro 1500 carb X1/9 camshaft.
The carb and intake will work nicely.
I don't know about the gas linkeage, I only know X1/9s. :cool:

the transmission wont fit your existing lower cross member, the lower engine supoort for the prisma is like a ritmo / regata.

The larger tripde joints wont fit straight onto your existing axles, they will be close but you wont be able to fit the circlip... you'll need to machine away a little of the splined shoulder to get it to fit.

It will also mean a 190mm clutch and (probably) a different starter motor and ring gear than your four speed.

I ran thru a big long list quite some time ago... it hasnt changed.

SteveC

then what about using my 4 speed box with the 1600? (i really dont need the 5th gear..) will it ends in too much short\tight gearing?

tempra and tipo are pretty much the same thing.... you've asked the same questions half a dozen times in half a dozen different ways, but the answers won't change.

SteveC

Yes! I put in a Regata 5 speed.. Had to modify the Tripodes to fit on the axles..

Tripodes_128-Regata.jpg

Tripode_Before.jpg

Tripodes_After.jpg

tempra and tipo are pretty much the same thing.... you've asked the same questions half a dozen times in half a dozen different ways, but the answers won't change.
you are right Steve..it's 3 years now and i cannot decide yet to disturb the car..

@LOWTECH: what exactly modification is required to those joints?

The center collars on the 2 tripodes are the same splines and thickness, but the later larger bearing size doesn't have a recess on the inside to allow it to fully seat.
I covered the bearings to keep metal dust out, and used a fibre abrasive wheel on a Dremel tool to lower the shoulder on the inner splines to allow the tripode to fully seat and get the circlip on. It probably should be done on a milling machine, but it was a hard shape to clamp and honestly it didn't need that much removed so this worked out fine. Only took about an hour....

or you can put the axles in a lathe, and where the tripode touches, just machine away a little at the start of the spline so the tripode slips on that 2mm more.

SteveC

The larger tripde joints wont fit straight onto your existing axles, they will be close but you wont be able to fit the circlip... you'll need to machine away a little of the splined shoulder to get it to fit.

i did not understood exaclty..referring to this pic i have to machine the zone in the yellow circle? i was expecting a shoulder on the axle (bigger diameter\step) to be machined, but i do not see any..
semiasse.jpg

Back