1960 600 front suspension and brake upgrades

ElectricFiat

Hello everyone,

I’m new here and learning a lot while planning for the restoration and EV conversion of my 1960 600.

I’ll try to keep this brief (but I’ve got lots of questions). Firstly, I’m planning upgrading the front suspension to independent with coilovers. I know the front needs to be reinforced to handle the coilovers, ok. Some places sell the pieces for reinforcing, but is there more that can/should be done? Like a fatter plate? But my real question is: is there a rear suspension upgrade? And are coilovers the best way to go? Which anti-sway bars are best for the whole setup? I know the front has an upper and lower available.

Secondly, I’m going to redo the front brakes with an 850 disc setup, but I’d like to upgrade the calipers. The single piston jobs don’t inspire a lot of confidence and I’d like to take a step up. But a small step up. I don’t need Wilwood or Brembo, I don’t drive that fast and I don’t see a lot of track days in my future. So what works? What fits? And what’s affordable? Will it need different mounting plates? That would only make sense. I am planning on putting 14” wheels on it and I’m open to spacers, too, since I know it’s often an issue of the wheel hitting the caliper.

Anyway, I’ve been noodling around and I haven’t found anything answering these questions. Thanks for sharing your expertise!

Josh

sorry, i have a doubt. I read the post recommended by you, but are the tokiko calipers so wide that they can accommodate both the original disc and the pads?
You have a choice. Either pull the calliper down and fit a spacer to suit the Fiat 850 disc or do as I did and machine the disc down to 7mm. Either way, you use the Suzuki pads. I also have coil overs and lower wishbones and made up and welded the reinforcing to the top fittings. Inside there is a bar welded across to stiffen up the front as well. Probably not necessary on a road car.
101_6501.jpg

sorry, i have a doubt. I read the post recommended by you, but are the tokiko calipers so wide that they can accommodate both the original disc and the pads?
I would add the spacer to the caliper to space it wider. This would allow easily acquired standard disks to be used and not require machining of the disk. A thicker disk will be much less likely to warp and will have more thermal mass to absorb the heat of braking.

You can buy the seal/gasket kits and replicate the center gasket in the aluminum plate. Be sure to sand the aluminum flat using a piece of glass with some 320 grit wet sandpaper adhered to it.

Back