1968 FIAT 850 SPORT COUPE ON EBAY

That does look really nice. But no telling how much he wants for it; so far it only says "reserve not met" at $3000, the reserve could be anything. Neat car though.

That does look really nice. But no telling how much he wants for it; so far it only says "reserve not met" at $3000, the reserve could be anything. Neat car though.

This car's been bouncing around the "For Sale" circuit for a while now. Mecum auctions, Craigslist, now eBay. Going by previous listings, the seller seems to think the car is worth $12k-$14k.

Jeff, is the "Sport" a separate designation?

Yes.

Coupe (aka "Series 1"), 2-headlight/2-taillight body style, sold 1967-68 here in the USA.

Sport Coupe (aka "Series 2"), 2-headlight/2-foglight/4-taillight body style, sold 1969-71 here in the USA.

Sport Coupe (aka "Series 3"), 4-headlight/4-taillight body style (redesigned nose panel), sold outside the USA/NA market after the Series 2.

I've always thought it was sedan and "sport" coupe. What were the correct designations.

Sedan (Berlina)
Coupe
Spider (aka Roadster)
Spider CL (Bertone)
Sport Coupe
Sport Spider
Special (Sedan/Berlina)
Racer (Berlinetta, Team & USA/NA versions)
Familiare (Van)

Last edited:
Wow, and the seller has such a nice long & detailed description. Not...

If he/she wants top dollar, you'd think the seller could have said something about condition and history. The car *looks* to be in great condition but hard to tell by a handful of pics and lack of description. The sheet plastic on the drivers seat gives that well-cared for, factory fresh touch!

Dash has been recovered. Seats look to be reupholstered. Steering wheel is badly cracked. Engine bay missing the "belly pans" (very important). It's been repainted and who knows what could be under the paint.

Last edited:
The car *looks* to be in great condition but hard to tell by a handful of pics and lack of description... I'm guessing it's been repainted and who knows what could be under the paint.

A freind of mine was interested in this car a few months ago, so I looked the car (photos) over a bit. Besides the few things you noted, there are a few other minor items that are missing or "incorrect", such as:

Mis-matched sidemarker lights (concave Euro front vs. domed early USA rear)
Incomplete trunk border gasket
Missing door mirror
Missing fuel sender cover plate
Poorly-routed fuel hose
Sedan air cleaner (only fits the 1-barrel 30ICF carb, so what carb is being used?)
Missing fuel filler tray edge gasket
Missing rear "FIAT 850" chrome emblem
Missing rear Reverse/back-up lamp (a '68-only feature on the USA Coupe)

All minor things, but for the high asking price of the car, these really should've already been addressed.

As for body/paint, the car has definitely had work done & been repainted. If you look close, you can see that various panel gaps have been completely filled-in. On the front, the gaps normally visible between the nose panel & each front fender are gone. These gaps run from the front corners of the trunk opening diagonally forward/outward to the headlight nacelles, as well as from the 6:00 position of each headlight nacelle straight down.

image4.jpeg

On the rear, there would normally be a visible panel gap from each upper corner of the engine bay opening straight out horizontally to the rear tip of each roof rain gutter.

image6.jpeg

The car's obviously been given some love, just needs a few more hugs. ;)

Last edited:
Filled gaps mean cracks in the future where it shouldn’t be filled.

Looks nice from here.

I suspect someone tore the car down, did a bunch of work and then didn't bother to put it back together 100%... I really like the car... Waiting to see if there is a Corona Virus discount and the reserve...

The text in the ad is terrible.....looks like a millennial text message. I fear that since 850s are now so rare that sellers can pretty much charge whatever they want.

Ed, you bring up an interesting point, what effect does the virus have on car prices?

Back