1969 Fiat Siata Spring

Huey

True Classic
1969 Fiat Siata Spring in Ohio, $4500
Not mine, no affiliation. I came across this on craigslist. I've never seen one before and I had to some research to figure out what exactly it is. It looks solid from the photos but the body does have some dents. I would love to restore it.

https://columbus.craigslist.org/cto/d/ashville-1969-fiat-siata-springs/7031944167.html

00B0B_6qUAxks1cyl_1200x900.jpg

That Siata has been on CL for at least a year. It doesn't look too bad. Even the underneath shots are not too scary. I have seat covers for an 850 if you take the leap Huey.

BTW.... I think the electric car(?) next to it is more interesting. :)

Siata Springs remind me too much of VW-based MG T-series kit cars, I never understood the point. I'd take an 850 Spider any day of the week.

Why in the world would anyone think the Spring was an improvement over the 850 - a very attractive car? I couldn't imagine, so I looked at Wikipedia.
This is what I found -
"In 1968, after a detailed market research among Italian youth, Siata launched the Siata Spring, a sports car based on parts from Fiat 850, with a front end styled by Enrico Fumia in 1966.[4] The Siata Spring was produced until 1970, when Siata went bankrupt,..."
Maybe everyone in Italy was on drugs in 1968? Who did the research? Enrico Fumia must have been joking?

I like rare, unusual, and oddball cars.
I wouldn't have owned three old Fiats and a Lancia were that not the case, but the Spring is just a little too far out there for me is all. Like the answer to a question nobody asked. I'm sure there are plenty of folks who love them, thank goodness.

in the late '60s started the interest for vintage\historic cars..so the '30s style was an appeal factor, see also the 500 gamine vignale for example

1969 Fiat Siata Spring in Ohio, $4500
Not mine, no affiliation. I came across this on craigslist. I've never seen one before and I had to some research to figure out what exactly it is. It looks solid from the photos but the body does have some dents. I would love to restore it.

https://columbus.craigslist.org/cto/d/ashville-1969-fiat-siata-springs/7031944167.html

00B0B_6qUAxks1cyl_1200x900.jpg
At first glance I want to say the red car is a Corbin Sparrow but can't find any pictures of that design.
if it is a Corbin then it might be an early proto type.
The Corbin electrics later became Meyers electrics and are more jelly bean shaped.
It could be a gas powered kit car.

At first glance I want to say the red car is a Corbin Sparrow but can't find any pictures of that design.
if it is a Corbin then it might be an early proto type.
The Corbin electrics later became Meyers electrics and are more jelly bean shaped.
It could be a gas powered kit car.

OK, I did a little Google image searching. Apparently, this car is a "HM Vehicles Free-Way". It is gas (12hp) or electric (4hp) powered.

I've always liked the '40 Ford' Beetle nose; this one really worked over.
Z-4Large[1].jpg
This one is just...something. The Samba?
thesamba-e1487486464745[1].jpg

Last edited:
There have been so many weird kits for the old VW bug chassis. For a period thought the 70's and 80's they were coming up with every imaginable concept. The body mods like '40 Ford or pho Porsche were one thing, but the complete rebodies - where the VW pan was altered and an entire new body shell mounted - were a whole different game. I guess the Fierro was the "modern" replacement for the VW in the kit car world. Now they like to make the distinction of "recreation" rather than "kit car", but it's the same old crap.

Back