1971 Fiat 850 almost ready to drive

Discussion in 'Rear-Engine Fiats' started by Pat, Jul 6, 2018.

1. Pat

Pat Daily Driver

Got it! That also happens a lot to VW's with their Solex carbs. Stupid brass pieces pulls out. I usually pin mine with with a punch. Never thought about threading them.

2. Pat

Pat Daily Driver

Here is an updated picture showing the exhaust braces in place. (Thanks Jeff!) Also, I'm showing the replacement for the VHTF oil pressure sender. This uses the Bosch brass adapters that screw into the old fitting and comes out 1/8 npt. (Check previous posts for the link in case you need one). Then, I found an oil pressure switch in eBay for $5.99 including shipping. It works, as it doesn't drop to zero after a couple of minutes, but it seems to work opposite of what I would expect. It pegs the gauge at 80 psi and then after the engine starts, the pressure goes down to 20 psi. Probably isn't calibrated exactly for the Fiat gauge, but at least I'll know if I loose all oil pressure.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 25, 2018
  3. Pat

Pat Daily Driver

Currently I'm waiting for the new radiator hoses, new heater hoses and thermostat. Also, the water temperature gauge stop working. I know that the gauge works, as I grounded the sensor. I've been looking and found that this part is also VHTF. I was thinking about replacing this with 1/8 npt adapter and using a different sensor. There appears to be a banjo fitting just below the factory sensor. Does anyone know what that does? Can I link the two hoses together and bypass the connection to the gauge?
    upload_2018-8-24_20-13-39.png

Another thing that went bad is the water heater valve. I had to disconnect and block the hoses. Would nice to be able to find this part so I can do the entire cooling system all at once. Is there any hack that I can do to scab something else in? The 131 valve looks close. Anyone come up with a replacement?

upload_2018-8-24_20-23-11.png

Will be down for a little longer. Just gotta be patient.

Attached Files:

4. Pat

Pat Daily Driver

Okay, I've got mine wired in including the inline filter.

5. Pat

Pat Daily Driver

The radiator and heater core have been cleaned out and the car now has all new hoses. I've done several flushes and will do one last flush just before it gets cold and add the anti freeze and water pump lube. All is good except that weird heater control value and it will start to be getting cold soon. It seems like nobody has one of those valves for sale brand new. I started looking around I found one on eBay for an ALFA 145/146/155/ Coupe/ FIAT Tipo. I decided to take a chance since it was only $20.00 shipped. It kinda sorta looks similar to what I need. One of issues is that the two bolt holes are too far apart.
    upload_2018-9-29_7-28-32.png

The seller included a new gasket for the 850, which was real nice. You can see that it is close, but no cigar.
    upload_2018-9-29_7-31-23.png
    Since it was plastic, I decided to do some grinding and got the gasket to fit and also to fit to the heater core.
    This is what it looks like after some careful grinding.
    upload_2018-9-29_7-33-12.png
    Here are some pictures of the installation:
    upload_2018-9-29_7-35-5.png
    It actually looks pretty good.
    upload_2018-9-29_7-35-44.png

Next is the installation into the vehicle.

upload_2018-9-29_7-40-9.png

In order for this larger value to fit, the plastic heater cover had to be notched as follows:
    upload_2018-9-29_7-42-19.png
    This is in the right front on the passenger's side.
    Now for the heater control, you have to remove the plastic arm, this just pops out, but please be careful since it is all plastic. You will also need a cable lock which are cheap and plentiful since they come from a VW for the heater cable or throttle cable locks.
    Please remember to drill out the arm of the heater control value so that you can insert this lock.
    Actually I installed the heater core with the value attached and I was able to drill it out, but it is much easier to do now before the installation.
    upload_2018-9-29_7-44-45.png upload_2018-9-29_7-46-31.png

Next, you have to drill a small hole in the heater control lever and reverse and install the original rod back as follows:
    upload_2018-9-29_7-51-56.png

Finally, you attach the rod to the heater value and lock it in place by tightening the heater cable lock. (see red arrow)

kmead and JimD like this.
  6. JimD

JimD Waiting for Godot... Moderator

Nice work Pat. Keep at it! :)

7. Pat

Pat Daily Driver

I wasn't able to get all of the pictures in the previous post, so here is the final installation picture with the arrow showing the rod attached to the heater control value after the plastic arm has been removed.
    upload_2018-9-29_7-57-0.png

Now we have a working heater valve controlled by the original heater lever. Everything thing I have done is reversible, but I will have to purchase another cover and arm when I find the original Fiat 850 heater control valve.
    The eBay seller will sell a quantity of these valves and I can get them for $12.00 each delivered, but I have to buy 10 at a time. Not sure if enough Fiat 850 users will find this post useful or not.

kmead likes this.
  8. NM850

NM850 True Classic

Nice post. I was told early on to exercise the heater valve every time you drive the car, so far it’s worked in my car.

kmead likes this.
  9. kmead

kmead True Classic

Very nice. It will be interesting to see how this performs over time. Not saying it won’t, likely it will last most of forever with any luck.

I found I still have a brand new heater valve I bought in the early 90s which had been hiding in the bottom of a box for the last 20+ years, however it is one of those things where that nice old part could quickly become a nasty old part. So count me in for a couple, let me know if/when you get the order going and how you want to work it.

Thanks for a good write up, great pics and the wry humor.

10. Pat

Pat Daily Driver

Got orders for 3 valves. Just need 7 more to go.

kmead likes this.
  11. Pat

Pat Daily Driver

I took the challenge and drove my 850 to work. We survived I-5, huge semis, and a lot of traffic without any issues. (Made it home safely as well) :)

upload_2018-10-9_7-59-53.png

12. Chad C.

Chad C. Daily Driver

Congratulations! These cars are so fun, and they really do ok on the freeway. I've had a Coupe and a Spider, and they're both super cool.

Here's a quick video of my brother & I on I-5 in the '68 850 Spider: