1973 Fiat 128 Engine Swap Part 2

You probably just need to shorten the X pipe. Maybe Jeff or someone else can give you the dimensions of a 128 return pipe.

You probably just need to shorten the X pipe. Maybe Jeff or someone else can give you the dimensions of a 128 return pipe.
Yeah I just shortened it to where it allowed the oil pan to sit flush but now I don’t know if it’s long enough to pick up any oil only if the pan is basically completely full to an inch under the rim.

That extra pipe (on the side) is only to allow any excess oil from the block breather to drain back into the oil pan. It really doesn't need to go all the way down. You will be fine with it trimmed.

However the other one, on the oil pump, is different. It NEEDS to be in the right place to pick-up oil and supply the engine. That's why there are different ones to match the different shaped pans. So you will need to find a oil pump pick-up for a 128. Should be someone with a spare one here, post a listing in the "for sale" section.

That extra pipe (on the side) is only to allow any excess oil from the block breather to drain back into the oil pan. It really doesn't need to go all the way down. You will be fine with it trimmed.

However the other one, on the oil pump, is different. It NEEDS to be in the right place to pick-up oil and supply the engine. That's why there are different ones to match the different shaped pans. So you will need to find a oil pump pick-up for a 128. Should be someone with a spare one here, post a listing in the "for sale" section.
I have 8 pickups from various 1.3 engines. Is there a casting number on the pickup which can tell us what is
- an X 1/9 or a
- 128 pickup?

The 128 engine came with the oil pump and pick up. The pick up looks to be the same length as the X’s pick up except screen is different.

This is the pump and pick up from the X.
60FF21FE-A2B1-48AC-ABED-18957403D8F9.jpeg

This is the pump and pick up from the 128.
C1990BC0-392A-49F7-89E6-98E5D07083A1.png

I installed it already with the shortened oil return tube. It has to be shortened down to an inch length from the bolt mount.

he pick up looks to be the same length as the X’s pick up except screen is different.
I think if you compare the two side by side you'll see there is a difference in the angle of the bottom flat section - to match the different oil pan bottom angles.

Go ahead & set your X1/9 oil pump/pickup assembly on a table next to your 128 oil pump/pickup assembly, & find out the difference yourself. :rolleyes:

When in doubt about something like this, I go to the MWB catalog. It's pretty good at letting you know what model each part is for.

Will the radiator need upgrading? I have the stock radiator & fan from the 128. Will it suffice for the X engine? I believe it should be fine. I forgot to keep the X’s radiator before donating it. Not sure if it was even compatible since it was a mid engine car.

So long as the one you have is in good condition, and the rest of the cooling system (water pump, thermostat, electric fan, etc) are also working properly, then it should be fine. The X's rad would not have fit anyway so that's fine.

I have had two 128s and an SL that had all been converted to a 1500 X motor and the 128 radiator was more than adequate. As Doc has noted, the X radiator would not be an easy swap into a 128.

This doesn’t look right. Should it screw all the way down or should I stick a spacer in there ? Not sure if I’m even supposed to use this one. I read that I’m supposed to swap the dip stick from the 128 to x19 engine but it didn’t come with a dipstick holder. Not sure if there’s a difference

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    276 KB · Views: 107
On all my Xs and 128s it was all the way down but I did use a battery impact gun to get it down that far.
I would imagine 128 and X dipsticks are different since the oil pans and angle of the motor are different but I don't recall measuring them to verify that. You can always pour in the proper amount of oil and then see if you need to re-mark whatever dipstick you are using.

On the X1/9 1300 & 1500 blocks, this port is threaded to accept the dipstick extension fitting shown. The fitting should be screwed all the way down into the block with no spacer used.

The 128 1100 & 1300 blocks don't use this fitting, & the block port is not machined/threaded for such a fitting. The 128 dipstick fits directly into the port in the block.

Last edited:
I have had two 128s and an SL that had all been converted to a 1500 X motor and the 128 radiator was more than adequate. As Doc has noted, the X radiator would not be an easy swap into a 128.
Carl, i suppose you mated the 1500 motor to the 4speed 128 trans..correct? was this ok when driving on the road, or the gearing was a tad too short?

On the X1/9 1300 block, this port is threaded to accept the dipstick extension fitting shown. The fitting should be screwed all the way down into the block with no spacer used.

The 128 1300 block does not use this fitting, & the block port is not machined/threaded for such a fitting. The 128 dipstick fits directly into the port in the block.
I have an x19 1500 block.

The 1500 X motor bolts up to the 128 or 1300 X trans with no problem, you just have to remember to use the four speed flywheel and starter. This combo is just fine as the 1500 has so much more torque for real urban driving. The only time I wish I had a five speed was on a trip I made to the Carlisle Import show. The drive is about 1.5 hours and the 128 street/track day car had a gutted interior. At around 70mph the motor was really wailing around 5,500rpm. I had to put in ear plugs. Oddly enough, that motor got smoother the higher I revved it. Depends on the final drive ratio and that must have been real short. I have had other 128s and four speed Xs that didn't rev nearly as much at the same speeds.

IMG_7059[1].JPG

Back