1973 Fiat 128 Seats Swap

Red128

Daily Driver
In need of assistance! I have no seats in my car! Gutted! No rails, no backseats, nothing! Does anyone have any seats with rails for sale !? Or does anyone know how can install or adapt seats and rail from another car? I have an 85 X19 but the seat rails are different! Also advice on back seats as well since it didn’t come with any!

Attachments

• E606925D-AE29-4C9A-AEA8-E9CC50C40CC0.jpeg
    E606925D-AE29-4C9A-AEA8-E9CC50C40CC0.jpeg
    457.3 KB · Views: 219
I installed Miata seats in my SL. Had to make some simple adaptors using Home Depot angle iron. If you are not going to force anyone to sit in the back, just carpet the area.

It's possible 124 spider seats might fit. If you measure the location of the mounting holes I have a set of 124 seats I can check.
Heck, I can even measure the spacing of the mounting holes in my 1990 Miata if you want.

I misread what car you have, I also put Miata seats in my 128 wagon. I tend to put them in all my Fiat tin tops.

In need of assistance! I have no seats in my car! Gutted! No rails, no backseats, nothing! Does anyone have any seats with rails for sale !? Or does anyone know how can install or adapt seats and rail from another car? I have an 85 X19 but the seat rails are different! Also advice on back seats as well since it didn’t come with any!

Alright, here is the hard cold truth. There are no pre-built seat rails which will just "fit" a standard 128 sedan. Seats and rails from an SL or 3p will not fit either, they are different.

However, here is the good part. Unlike the X1/9 you can fit pretty much anything in the 128 as there is so much room. Personally, hit the junkyard and look for BMW or better yet, Audi seats and fab up some mounts. The mounts are not too hard to do, and if you are not handy with a welder, no problem. You can fab up the hardware and take it to a machine shop to do.

To be honest, the original seats are stupid anyways, not because of their look but because they sat up so high anyone over 5'10" hits to roof. Weird in a car where an after market seat will fit someone 6'10"... ok, that might be a stretch, but there is a lot of room. I am 6'4" and fit easily with a helmet on. Not so in my X.

Acura RSX seats are great too. They look period correct...sort of like vintage Recaros.

I have just gone through the process of getting seats for my 128 sedan. I had the original seats for the car and they are not confortable. I replaced them since the material was ripped and the foam was old.

There are many seats that fit in the 128 with modifications to the rails and making a seat bracket. You need to look at the height of the seat so that it doesn't touch the roof.

124 spyder seats will fit with mods.
Honda Prelude
Acura Inetgra and RSX
Volkswagen golf and jetta. depending on the year

I personally have put Honda prelude (89-91 year) seats with mods to the rail and making a bottom seat bracket to fit the Honda rails. Acura Integra (91-93 year) seats also fit and they are much more confortable then the original fiat seats. I would recommend Honda or Acura seats, nice bolstering and material.
As mentioned before Acura RSX seats also fit, they have the intergrated headrest with good bolstering.

I looked at Miata seats they also fit, but could not find a set that were priced right or in decent condition, you may have better luck.

I have attached a pic showing the seat and the bracket that I made to fit the seat.

Attachments

• Honda seat2.jpg
    Honda seat2.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 176
  • Honda seat.jpg
    Honda seat.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 149
I have just gone through the process of getting seats for my 128 sedan. I had the original seats for the car and they are not confortable. I replaced them since the material was ripped and the foam was old.

There are many seats that fit in the 128 with modifications to the rails and making a seat bracket. You need to look at the height of the seat so that it doesn't touch the roof.

124 spyder seats will fit with mods.
Honda Prelude
Acura Inetgra and RSX
Volkswagen golf and jetta. depending on the year

I personally have put Honda prelude (89-91 year) seats with mods to the rail and making a bottom seat bracket to fit the Honda rails. Acura Integra (91-93 year) seats also fit and they are much more confortable then the original fiat seats. I would recommend Honda or Acura seats, nice bolstering and material.
As mentioned before Acura RSX seats also fit, they have the intergrated headrest with good bolstering.

I looked at Miata seats they also fit, but could not find a set that were priced right or in decent condition, you may have better luck.

I have attached a pic showing the seat and the bracket that I made to fit the seat.
Looking great!

Back