1974 Not Sure I will finish it

Gamecock

Rusty 74
Have been working on the 1974, VIN 128AS0009201. The car has around 40000 miles and is fully dismantled. It has been on my homemade rotisserie for several years in rust repair mode. I have cut out, patched, welded, beat, and fixed holes in this sucker for quite a while. The body is just about done, but needs the rest of paint removed and sanding.
Glass is pretty good and trim is there.
The engine never ran while I have had it and was missing the alternator. Got the head off after massive cussing and tugging, using a stud remover. Cylinders didn't look bad.

My problem is there is a lot of work to do and I do not know if I want to put that much money in this engine or a K20 conversion. Parts were pulled, boxed, bagged and tagged for the most part. Shocks were a mess and were trashed. I am to the point I feel like I am losing interest in it. I am 67 years old and have a Cobra kit car I need to finish body work and paint.

Interested in your thoughts or interest in taking it over. I am in Columbia SC.
Thanks for reading my rant.
I will try to get some current pics to add.
Glen

Attachments

• DSCF1066.JPG
    DSCF1066.JPG
    200.8 KB · Views: 194
  • DSCF1115.JPG
    DSCF1115.JPG
    201.1 KB · Views: 195
  • DSCF1077.JPG
    DSCF1077.JPG
    204.2 KB · Views: 192
Sounds like you have moved on. Given that to complete this would likely take 2-3 years, I'd say Cobra kit car definitely takes precedence. I'm now starting to gauge how many more years I can practically do major overhaul work, and I'm 10 years younger :D

Have been working on the 1974, VIN 128AS0009201. The car has around 40000 miles and is fully dismantled. It has been on my homemade rotisserie for several years in rust repair mode. I have cut out, patched, welded, beat, and fixed holes in this sucker for quite a while. The body is just about done, but needs the rest of paint removed and sanding.
Glass is pretty good and trim is there.
The engine never ran while I have had it and was missing the alternator. Got the head off after massive cussing and tugging, using a stud remover. Cylinders didn't look bad.

My problem is there is a lot of work to do and I do not know if I want to put that much money in this engine or a K20 conversion. Parts were pulled, boxed, bagged and tagged for the most part. Shocks were a mess and were trashed. I am to the point I feel like I am losing interest in it. I am 67 years old and have a Cobra kit car I need to finish body work and paint.

Interested in your thoughts or interest in taking it over. I am in Columbia SC.
Thanks for reading my rant.
I will try to get some current pics to add.
Glen

I'm a few years older and feeling your "pain"... I have several irons in the fire and all need some attention. My biggest hurtle is physical as I have two inoperable torn rotator cuffs and have trouble lifting things over my head. The passion is still there, but really MULTIPLIES when another enthusiast is nearby.

What I have consoled myself with is that I enjoy HAVING the cars even with a few imperfections and when I tire of one, I always have another to work on (play with).

In your case... you really have ONE build going forward, (the Cobra) and another that hasn't reached that point and is still in the tear-down mode, (the X1/9).

Of the two, it would be easier and more rewarding immediately to go forward on the Cobra. I think if you do, you will probably loose all interest in the X. The Cobra kits are not just a bolt together thing either, it will take you through all phases of construction, fabrication and assembly... even body, paint and upholstery if you do it all.

I don't know WHO threw the "wrench in the works" by placing this Cobra Kit in front of you... but its like throwing a steak in front of a Pit Bull.

Back to the '74 for a minute... '75's and earlier are really desirable in CA due to their smog exempt status but shipping would need to be considered in the price. I can't see what all you have I just see the body as the most valuable and viable thing. Complete restorations are the MOST expensive and the MOST unprofitable as well.

So you have quite a dilemma... and I fear in any case you will need to give up on the X and possibly take a loss as well. BUT, I also think its the only way for you to move FORWARD from a physical, emotional and mental standpoint. Dollars too!

Good luck with your decision... and relish in the fact you are wealthy and young enough to have this problem!

I here you Gamecock and Balcktooth. Between Tony and me it would be a close call as to which of us is saltiest.
I can still crawl under a car but its getting harder to get back up.
I know I have had my day in the sun but still can't help envying the younger guys with their projects and enthusiasm.
I see some deals and think, if I was only 20 years younger...s**t, I would settle for ten.

The Cobra has been driveable for about 5 years, with the body in black gelcoat. Looks sinister and goes like hell. Bought X about 3 years ago, it was a roller none runner, missing the alternator and other pieces. When I started to disassemble the rust became more noticeable and much worse than I initially thought. Once i got it on the motor stand rotisserie I cut out the stuff, formed new windshield pieces with the English wheel and other tools, so it has been a neat fab experience, much different than the cobra. THen the HIP started acting up and ended up with a replacement last February, which made a world of difference.

I bought another x since a I had a brand new 1979 that I had for about 3 years and loved the car. But things were such, it had to go due to family needs at the time. Guess I bought this as a re-visit of my younger days.
The engine is the piece that I can't get my hands around. We had to pry pull and raise hell to get the head off. The heads would need a total rework to be usable.
Tony I have read through your posts and admire your work and dedication to the old X. Hussien, I have followed your k engine swap and you talents are evident.

I will finish up the rust repair and try to get it into a roller. May try the K20 engine but who knows. May find a local that wants to wrestle this puppy.
Glen

The Cobra has been driveable for about 5 years, with the body in black gelcoat. Looks sinister and goes like hell. Bought X about 3 years ago, it was a roller none runner, missing the alternator and other pieces. When I started to disassemble the rust became more noticeable and much worse than I initially thought. Once i got it on the motor stand rotisserie I cut out the stuff, formed new windshield pieces with the English wheel and other tools, so it has been a neat fab experience, much different than the cobra. THen the HIP started acting up and ended up with a replacement last February, which made a world of difference.

I bought another x since a I had a brand new 1979 that I had for about 3 years and loved the car. But things were such, it had to go due to family needs at the time. Guess I bought this as a re-visit of my younger days.
The engine is the piece that I can't get my hands around. We had to pry pull and raise hell to get the head off. The heads would need a total rework to be usable.
Tony I have read through your posts and admire your work and dedication to the old X. Hussien, I have followed your k engine swap and you talents are evident.

I will finish up the rust repair and try to get it into a roller. May try the K20 engine but who knows. May find a local that wants to wrestle this puppy.
Glen

All good Glen...

I have a friend in Mississippi whose, mechanic could not get the head off her car. A post or two here and a head puller tool was sent to her, along with a shim tool and kit... as well as the offer from two folks that said they had good quality heads that she could have if hers proved to be cracked.

My point being... there is so much experience, passion and a willingness of others on this site to help if they just know about it. You obviously have the skills and experience but the X is special... (HA!) and there is always folks here that have done it and found ways to do things and fix things, better, cheaper and faster.

For instance the alternator... a GM replacement can cost as little as $45 bucks with a lifetime guarantee (Auto Zone) and about $100 bucks overall to do the conversion. Lots of links and folks to point you to them.

As I have said to most "newbies" to this site... WRITE us and TELL us what yur doin' FIRST as we can probably point you to a good supplier, and get it done, faster and cheaper and with less frustration. If and when you are ready to start again... do let us know what yur up to!

Lastly, thanks for the kind words... and ain't Hussein something!

Well I continued work on the X. Started sand blasting suspension parts, cleaning things up. Tapped up the ball joints first then did the toe links, but started on the rear control arms, which barely fit into the cabinet. Saw some pitting, but thought it would clean up, well there are some pit holes through the metal. Only one of them is in this condition. The car did spend some time in Ohio, but not sure if it was sold there and spent most of its life there. But winter driving up there with the salt explains this. Funny thing is the ball joints are in good condition other than needing new boots. I may try to tig fill the big holes and see how it goes, or weld in some additional plate for strength.

Has anybody else ran into this corrosion? There is paint on one side.

I saw Carl is selling his X that got hit in front of his house. Looked into transportation from Arlington Va (just for a starting point) to Columbia, and its as much as the car. But would supply most of the stuff I need. I assume most 77 stuff would be reasonably compatible with an early 1974. that was made in late 1973. Would have to dig up the cash and look at logistics in the shop, but it would be doable.

Hope all you guys in the cold are doing well.
Glen

Glen...

The sky is falling around here and everything is WET... and suppose to continue to rain until next Wednesday. In the 65 years or so I have lived in SoCal I have never experienced 5 or 6 days of continuous rain, but about 10 degrees higher than usual.

That being said... your suspension parts on a '74 should be compatible with anything off a '78 or earlier. As ar as rust goes... I really can't speak to that issue as most of ours, especially suspension wise, ar rust free, surface rust not withstanding.

Keep us abreast of your NEEDS and what yur up to. I may have a source for new(er) suspension parts for you... and don't forget to post your needs on the FS&W forum.

Well once I finished on the passenger side rear control arm, it was extremely pitted with several through wall holes. I decided to try TIG welding the pitting, figuring it would clean up the impurities and fill in the voids. It did fill in pretty good, and I was really going at it. But welded so much I forgot about the old distortion. It warped the crap out of it. Tried to fit it on the car and no worky. Well after much swearing (since I was so pissed that I didn't pay attention to it) I tried some cuts in the sides to allow stress relief and proceeded to straighten it. After a bunch of fooling around it is in pretty good shape. Now I have weld the cuts, but that will be VERY controlled to avoid another case of dumbass. I will post some pictures to show the progress.

Replace the rear arm with a good used, I wouldn't mess with welding suspension components...

Lampredi's masterpiece, the SOHC engine, is simple to rebuild. Real performance parts are not that expensive, but you'll need them if you want real performance...

K20 swap is another whole level up when it comes to expense, so if the thought of rebuilding a sohc worries you, the cost of a K20 swap will give you nightmares.

SteveC

Back