1976 Scorpion; Gold

icr

True Classic
The 1976 Scorpion needs some cleaning and tuning. This will be a winter project to get it ready for next spring. It has been in storage for a while; just got it to a place where I can work on it.
DSC_0023 4.JPG

Yes, that is quite a nicely preserved Scorpion, with some nice engine upgrades. Cleaning up that will be well worth the efforts. I agree with Ron, that looks like it is just a few years old.

Agree with the others, that's the nicest original Scorpion I think I've ever seen. And with the twin Webers and Alquati cams, should be a bit more interesting than stock. My car was gold from the factory, but a previous owner resprayed it black by the time I got it.

I like to collect diecast models of my full size cars. Just found this on the internet. Laudo 1/18 Scorpion. I was able to order one in Gold. Anxiously awaiting its arrival.
View attachment 67472
I have lots of Lancia diecasts. May start a post in this section so it’s not lost in the Fiat forums. For now here is an 037 I picked up yesterday.

1BC9931E-2047-4469-97C4-DF48721A01D3.jpeg

The project at hand is to replace the fuel lines from above rather than below. The gas had been drained prior to its extended storage. No access to a lift at this time.

Plan is to remove the carbs and try to get to the hoses that way. While the carbs are out I'll inspect them and clean them.

I'm still coming to grips with the fact that last time I replaced the lines I was 40 years younger.

Looking at pics there is some evap emission hoses and devices not necessary for it to run that may be possible to just remove. All the cloth braided vapor hoses and valves and cans can probably go. Owners who still have them have complained of gas smell fume leaking through the aged cloth hoses.

You still have the fast idle push button there where prop rod mount for opening it and the engine compartment light is. That worked with the original carb which you no longer have so can be removed. More importantly since doing hoses if you still have the electrovalve that it is connected to that has fuel hoses through it bypass and remove.

Valve.jpg

I only removed items that affected performance and tried to keep as much of the rest as possible intact. In case of wanting to put it all back to original at some time. I saved all the parts that were removed.

Years later I was more clever wth the 308 which looks totally original. For example the air pump spins but there is nothing inside it. The condensers on the distributors are for show only as it is a stealth pointless conversion, etc.
DSCF0015.JPG
engine finished.JPG

Finally have a week off to get to work on the Scorpion.
I got both carbs off and this has given me enough access to reach the two nuts holding the fuel pump.
Sitting in the engine compartment, with my forehead against the rear window, I was able to undo both nuts and free the fuel pump.
Next is to reach the two nuts holding the fuel filter.
Pictures to follow.

To get to the fuel filter and hoses, both carbs need to come off.
First the air cleaner plate is removed and the distributor cap is removed to make room.
The throttle linkage was un bolted from the intake manifold and moved to the left of the engine, above the gearbox to make more room.
plate and dist cap removed.JPG
first carb out 2.JPG

Last edited:
Back