1976 Scorpion; Gold

I have a "Yes we can rebuild" from both Apple Hydraulics and J and L Spares and a "No" from PowerTrack Ltd.

I'll probably be getting a new manufacture replica booster.

The issue with the brakes not releasing on demand is from the same piston that is frozen in my unit. You can see in post #137 the spring that releases the brakes (by pressing the pistion back) is rather whimpy. Any unnecessary friction in the bore of the piston will cause a delay in the release of the brakes.

Lockheed.jpg

I got some wheel cribs and was able to get the brake booster out.
With some work I got the frozen piston out. I may rebuild this unit, as a spare and order a new unit.

I need to measure the flange nut threads to confirm it is 3/8-24, as replacemment boosters are seen with 10x1.0 and 10x1.25 depending on the intended application.
DSC_0046 4.JPG
thread.jpg

Measurement of the threads reveals it to be 10mm x1.25. This may mean I need to rebuild it as I believe the reproduction units are 3/8-24.

These are the two seals and a spacer for the little piston. I don't think I'll find a rebuild kit that contains these. The rebuild kits out there for Alfas have a different piston.

The Scorpion booster with its 10mm x 1.25 pitch is more like those found on a Lamborghini.
DSC_0048 4.JPG

This is the opening where the air-valve pistion was stuck. I cleaned the bore and honed it with a Dremel using Q-tips and metal polish.
DSC_0055 3.JPG
DSC_0087.JPG
bore after.jpg

After much searching I located both a plating shop and an appropriate rebuild kit. Rebuild kit from UK and plating shop 3 hours away.
Since I had never used that plating shop before, I drove 3 hours to deliver the parts and talk to the owner. Seems like a good place with which to do business. Family owned and operated since the 1970s and willing to do small jobs at a reasonable price.
These are the pieces I left with the electroplater.
IMG_1409.JPG
IMG_1408.JPG

A Scorpion owner on FerrariChat indicated Power Brake Exchange in San Jose, Ca. rebuilt their booster and posted the picture of it below. I did not want to send mine to CA for a $600 re-plating, plus mine is already disassembled, just needs the rubber parts and re-assembly. My plater quoted $80.

Screen Shot 2023-01-09 at 5.41.52 PM.png

I'm using wheel cribs with chocks on the front wheels, to raise the car for access to the brake booster.

I used the Eastman wheel refinishing kit on this wheel in 2003. This time I'll send it to a pro re-finishing shop.
wheel crib 4 in.jpg

Last edited:
The wheel stands are thinner than the wheels, so I'll get some 20mm bolts from McMaster Carr.
wheel bolt.jpg

Looks like the wheelbolts are in good shape. I suspect this is black oxide. I'll check with the guy doing the plating on the brake booster and get them all re-plated.
The black bolts and the newly re-finished wheels should really look fantastic.

Attachments

• wheel bolt.jpg
    wheel bolt.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 65
I can say in all my years of car ownership I have never owned a car with studs. What is the advantage?
Easier wheel changes, for one. I used the MWB studs on my Scorpion and a prior 124 Spider and they work great.

I can say in all my years of car ownership I have never owned a car with studs. What is the advantage?
Wheel changes not having to sit there trying to line up holes.

Not having to have 2 sets of hardware to use both your wheels and stands. Just slide stand onto studs and use same lug nuts that mount wheels.

No need for the alignment bolts that fasten factory wheel spacer to hub.

New lugnuts > resto bolts

Back