1979 1500cc modifications

Bryan Skarbek

Low Mileage
Hello fellow X'ers.

I'm going to be making a few minor mods to my 1979 1500cc engine and have a couple of questions.
1) I'm going to change the single port exhaust header to the dual port exhaust header that I already have. Is there a 2 to 1 pipe to connect the exhaust manifold to the muffler?
2) I'm going to change the original 28/30 DHTA carb to a 32-series carburetor from a 1974-78 car. Anyone have an extra? Is there a better carb for my car?
3) Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Bryan

if you can find one you can use (parts of) euro exhaust muffler. IN europe we have the weber 34datr of 34dmtr (from a ritmo/strada) ithis is a better upgrade for a 1500. I think i have still a 34 datr (this has autochoke but can be converterd to manual.

To answer your question: Yes. But not without fabrication. The manifold and dual down pipe mount up without modifications, but attaching the down pipe to any muffler (OEM or aftermarket) requires cutting/welding/fabrication.

First line of mods is full de-smog. Then I'd approach the supporting mods as
. Advance distributor timing
. 74-78 carb or Euro spec 34 Carburetor
. Open air filter
. Euro Intake or hog out your stock intake
. Any 4-2 exhaust manifold w/custom exhaust

This alone makes your X much much quicker!
Anything beyond this enters into machine work and internal rebuilding, such as cam, head work, pistons, and lighter flywheel or crank.
I've done the initial steps I mentioned on my own '79. It keeps pace with my friends fuel injected X, which has a Euro camshaft a fresh rebuild and mild head work from one of our vendors.
That car is smoother and more linear, but mine feels more "racey".

In 1979, I helped a friend hop up his new 79 X (CA model). The first thing we did was a desmog. This included removing the air pump and associated plumbing as well as plugging the port on the head (M16x1.5). There may have been a few other emission related things we addressed but I don't remember the details. Although the stock carb is probably the worst ever to be put on an X, it will respond to rejetting, so that is what we did. Just getting this far made a significant difference. A couple of months later we added a nice street cam from Joe Serra. That really woke up the top end so the useful rpm range was really extended. About six months after that, dual DCNFs and a header. That made the car fast enough for him.

Back