1980 X headlights quit working

XCoast

Daily Driver
Any suggestions on where to start tracking this down or what typically causes this? Both lights pop up but now not turning on at all. Fuses good. Thanks for any help.

It could be a failing switch. There are lots of contacts in there. If you go to the BOX and look under the electrical section there is a link for headlight topics, including a bad switch. You could start there and see if you can figure out the issue.

It could be a failing switch. There are lots of contacts in there. If you go to the BOX and look under the electrical section there is a link for headlight topics, including a bad switch. You could start there and see if you can figure out the issue.
Yeah I think you're right. When I push on the right side of the button when the lights are up the lights come on for as long as I slightly press it. Seems like the switch isn't making proper contact. Can these be dismantled and made to work properly again? Low mileage car so not like it's worn out.

Attachments

• 20220509_211138.jpg
    20220509_211138.jpg
    300 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
Though I haven't tried this, you could use some contact cleaner in the switch and see if that helps. It won't hurt the switch and might just clean it up enough to make it work. Cheap fix if it works.

The problem is one of these Pistons that activate the metal toggle was worn down. I had to order another related switch so that I can get this part out of it. Porsche used metal Pistons that didn't wear out which was a better idea. I was planning to swap out but the metal ones are slightly smaller in diameter. In most cases if you have a switch that is shot this is what it's from.

Attachments

• 20220510_132953.jpg
    20220510_132953.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
Here's what the worn little piston looks like with a loose piece from it.

Attachments

• 20220510_133828.jpg
    20220510_133828.jpg
    201.4 KB · Views: 61
Dropped the new plunger in from the spare switch and now the light switch works fine. From what I can tell the little plastic, cheesy plungers are the only thing that would wear out.🤙

Back