1980 X1/9 FS in RI "will be crushed"

Immaculate condition. Except for all the rust.:) At least the starting is reasonable for the condition.

I hate that cheesy ad come on...makes me want to email the guy asking him to send me some photos of it going into the shredder for my collection of photos of collector cars being crushed by cheeseballs.

Yes, 1500 or 175 & remove tank & tires...

It's an asinine ad. He will get maybe $100 if he takes it to be crushed so why set the bar so high. To those of us who get excited about such things, it has manual windows and no AC, great parts when you want to convert your electric widow, not working AC cars. Probably worth $500 has a parts car.

or, even better...maybe someone should contact him & ask if he would accept some other scrap metal to make it heavier when he goes to crush it.

Yes, Carl is probably about right regarding some nice parts. I feel particularly lucky to own two X1/9s that never had AC. One does, alas, have power windows which I think is silly for such a small car, but at least they are the later type regulators.

From the pictures, it looks like it could be half decent after a deep clean. Only real issues seem to be the rust around the windshield. . . Needs paint, but other than the windshield rot, there isn't much else.

The ad is either sarcastic, or the seller is delusional. Eitherway, I personaly wouldn't go out of my way to deal with whoever that may be. You won't attract serious buyers with a sarcastic ad and you'll also scare away most sane people if you come across as blatantly delusional. Just not worth the time.

If he serioualy plans on scrapping it, then he should be giving it away or asking slightly above scrap value.

In addition to the windshield rust, it sure looks like the frunk tub sidewall is well on its way to rusting thru. I hate it when that happens.

This car will be a massive gamble as it is far from 'excellent' and doesn't look like it been on the road since 2004. The mileage is totally misrepresented at 48,000 miles and will realistically be 148,000 miles, the condition of the drivers seat a dead giveaway. It's not sun damage as the passenger seat is in great nick. It's also spent sometime sitting outside judging by the paint work and all the debris in the engine bay and trunks. Oddly, for a car left outside the bodywork in not that bad and the windshield rust looks more surface than all the way through.
Personally doubt this X runs, or if it runs, whether it actually stops. I'm betting several gears have gone AWOL, the hydraulics, brakes, clutch, cambelt, will all need to be done. Though, not the worst project car I've seen.

Last edited:
This car hasn’t been on the road in almost 15 years. Notice the lines on the tires in the first pic indicating they have been sitting flat for sometime. Sitting that long I hear the following repairs:
*Pedal box
*Clutch slave
*Coolant tubes maybe
*Radiator maybe
*All hoses
*Brakes top to bottom
*Then there is the easy to fix windshield rot
Not to mention fixing the interior rip in the seat
“immaculate” ....NOT!
Just needs a tune up.... NOT!
Paint in great shape...NOT!!

All of us who have been up the mountain and back restoring these cars know that although this one looks very restorable it still needs a ton of work to get it to daily driver status.

More reasonable price would be $500-900

Don’t forget you have to tow it home too and last I checked that costs ya too!!

This was sold today. Don’t know for how much or to whom. I did speak to the guy a few days ago and he was firm at $800. At least it didn’t get crushed!

Looks like it came with a boat!!!! You have the necessary pieces. ;)

ffbarch2.JPG

@FalconStreak217 Welcome to Xweb. We have a few Xweb members in MA, so if you need help reach out. This forum is a great place to gain knowledge and receive support when tackling all the repairs and maintenance X's require. Glad to see this car didn't go the way of salvage.

Congrats, glad you picked it up. Welcome.

We are all here to assist as you get into this. Someone here has done nearly any job you might run into, so the rule is always ask here first. I would also suggest picking up a couple of manuals, the Haynes although not always fully correct on data, the steps are valid. The factory manual has the correct data but lacks references to using a suitable drift and scanners.

In any case, don’t be a stranger and do ask for help.

@FalconStreak217 Welcome to Xweb. We have a few Xweb members in MA, so if you need help reach out. This forum is a great place to gain knowledge and receive support when tackling all the repairs and maintenance X's require. Glad to see this car didn't go the way of salvage.
This will be my 3rd X 1/9. Last one was a '77 that I sold sometime in the 80's. My Dad also had 2 of them!
Won't be a show queen, just want to get it running and drive it. Not bad shape considering it's 39 years old.
My first question: Which fuse is for the fuel pump?

First I would suggest making an initial post in the Workshop forum to introduce yourself, show the car in all its glory and ask your first questions about the resurrection of this car. This way you will get other people focused on the problems you are likely to find in it.

On to an answer:

There is an inline fuse located near the top right corner of the fuse block for the injection system. It is fed off junction connector C20 and the wire leading from it is Brown with a White tracer. The wire then feeds to the Double Relay in the top right corner of the spare tire well as viewed looking into the tire well when facing the rear of the car from the passenger doorway.

The wire to the fuel pump is the Green/Black tracer.

To trouble shoot you should download the Electrical Troubleshooting Guide and the Fuel Injection Trouble Shooting Guide available on the wiki
http://xwebforums.com/wiki/images/c/c7/ElectricalDiagnosticManual.pdf
http://xwebforums.com/wiki/index.php/FuelSystem

I would also suggest becoming a member at the www.MiraFiori.com page as Brad Artique has scanned a wide variety of manuals, wiring diagrams and so on. It is another group of Fiat folks some of whom are members here. In any case having multiple sources of information is always good.
https://www.mirafiori.com/forum/ucp.php?mode=register

DB8221EA-4D3E-4AD2-A488-7990FF6603A2.jpeg

CB702273-0787-4704-AF8C-9D5005FDF600.jpeg B8CA2C23-A281-4124-9C20-1341A682ED2E.jpeg

Last edited:
I know of two Xs that will probably be crushed!

Sorry, I won't mention this disaster anymore.

Back