RED X19

Forgot to mention, that bigger intercooler will be mounted horizontally on the left side of engine, and that makes me feel better, because air scoop will be a must :D

As in a custom larger scoop? That's something I want to design eventually, as we discussed in the other thread.

I know a lot of people put their intercooler by the left side duct - but I'm not quite convinced that there is a lot of air flow there. So, as soon as winter is finally over (winter is still hanging on in Toronto), I plan on proving if it does flow air or not.

I have an anemometer, will get a baseline measurement at vehicle speed (just holding the instrument far out the window - or roof!), then I'll stick it in the duct and take measurements at the same speeds using the OE plastic duct as is - then stick on a modified one without the additional grille and see if there's an improvement.

In the end, I think the best option would be a water to air intercooler. It's more complex, but would yield the biggest benefit to cooling in my opinion. Eventually, once my engine is in, I'll stick a pre/post thermocouple on my intercooler just to see if there's a benefit to whatever intercooler setup I go with.

Fun times ahead! :)

Yes Myron, that's science! Also try a temporary "large" scoop and tape it over the hole (with the stock scoop removed) to see if it offers much more air flow (even without opening up the hole through the body). Any increased drag would be more than offset by increased intercooler air flow and reduced intake temps.

This reminds me of a couple more pictures I've saved to add to the "side scoop" thread. I'll post them there and reference Myron's comments above: https://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/side-vents-ducts.33130/page-5

I bought a top mounted intercooler for my turbo project (similar design to the pictures below). It will be located to the driver's side, laying flat, in the area where things like the air-flow meter, coolant overflow tank, etc normally live. The stock engine cover will not clear that positioning but I will be making a custom cover with a ton of open air flow. That way I can mount a fan under the intercooler to draw air from above. The larger size of it combined with fan driven air from outside the engine bay should provide some serious temp reduction.

SUMZRTMIC-3.jpg

HPDIK-GU30CR2-T-1.jpg

076.JPG

I bought a top mounted intercooler for my turbo project (similar design to the pictures below). It will be located to the driver's side, laying flat, in the area where things like the air-flow meter, coolant overflow tank, etc normally live. The stock engine cover will not clear that positioning but I will be making a custom cover with a ton of open air flow. That way I can mount a fan under the intercooler to draw air from above. The larger size of it combined with fan driven air from outside the engine bay should provide some serious temp reduction.

Are you sure you want to do that? It seems the normal air path back there is up from underneath. The stock EFI air filter snorkel design bears this out. I added an exhaust fan to the engine cover to draw air up & out. It works well that way. Did a test years ago with a Volvo fan shroud & fan mounted to the outside of the engine cover. Pulling air up worked better than trying to push air down.

X19_0658.jpg

I also tried sticking my air filter all the way out of the side vent to see if it made any tangible difference (from a heat soak in engine bay perspective that was part of that discussion regarding cone filters) :D - used Volvo intake snorkels to extend inlet piping all the way out

X19_0653.jpg

X19_0649.jpg

It seems the normal air path back there is up from underneath.
Ya, really I was more talking about having a fan to increase air flow across the IC. But I've been debating which way to drive the air flow as you point out. I kind of have two theories on it:
On one hand the natural path would seem to be from bottom to top (as you stated) due to hot air rising. Driving the fan's air that direction will help remove heat from the engine compartment. However that would also be driving hot air across the IC...somewhat decreasing its effectiveness to cool it. Higher IC temps mean higher intake temps, mean higher engine temps, mean higher engine bay temps. Perhaps defeating the whole purpose a little.
On the other hand the air above should be cooler than below. Driving it that direction would allow an increase in the cooling efficiency of the IC, but would be sending the hot air off the IC into the engine compartment. So the cycle might go higher that way a little also.
An additional consideration might be a minor pressure differential from bottom to top, so the fan would be fighting it if driven the other way. However a decent fan would easily overcome this. But I guess there are trade-offs for either option. Somehow the pros/cons should be measured to determine the better choice. I'd appreciate everyone offering additional thoughts on this.

The good news is it could easily be done either way by installing the fan on top vs on bottom of the IC, or by using a "pusher" vs "puller" fan from either side of the IC.

I should also mention the plan for this project is to use an aftermarket ECU, no AFM, custom piping for all related intake routes, relocated coolant overflow tank (to the trunk), an oil cooler, the air filter also in the trunk (feeding the turbo at the rear of the engine), a custom engine cover with basically an open design, and all the heat management I can do with ceramic coating/fiberglass wraps/reflective insulating materials/heat shields, and a custom down-pipe/exhaust.

The oil cooler may be part of the IC fan's design. For example, the oil cooler could be mounted just above or below the IC so the fan's air would drive over it....either before or after the air crosses the IC (again, lots of options with pros and cons).

On one hand the natural path would seem to be from bottom to top (as you stated) due to hot air rising. Driving the fan's air that direction will help remove heat from the engine compartment. However that would also be driving hot air across the IC...somewhat decreasing its effectiveness to cool it.

I should also mention the plan for this project is to use an aftermarket ECU, no AFM, custom piping for all related intake routes, relocated coolant overflow tank (to the trunk), an oil cooler, the air filter also in the trunk (feeding the turbo at the rear of the engine), a custom engine cover with basically an open design, and all the heat management I can do with ceramic coating/fiberglass wraps/reflective insulating materials/heat shields, and a custom down-pipe/exhaust.

The oil cooler may be part of the IC fan's design. For example, the oil cooler could be mounted just above or below the IC so the fan's air would drive over it....either before or after the air crosses the IC (again, lots of options with pros and cons).

I think in reality the increased draw-through air flow from below, even if across the engine would still be better than fighting the natural path of air (stationary or moving) from below.

Only query I see there is that the coolant vent off the head (t/stat housing) needs to rise to the expansion tank connection, so that needs to higher than the connection point of the head/t/stat housing. Not sure the trunk will meet that criteria as it is. I like the concept - if the vent connection of the unit is set right under the trunk lid, one would think it would be rising sufficiently..

Last edited:
One reason for moving the cooling reservoir is because I bought the largest IC that could possibly fit in the region to the left of the engine. That would conflict with the stock location of the reservoir. However I might have to locate the IC a little higher than I thought in order to clear everything else. That means it might end up being above the reservoir. Although that still isn't ideal because I'd like to have an open area below the IC to allow maximal air supply to it. Plus the connection from the turbo outlet to the IC inlet passes just about where the reservoir hoses are. So the coolant reservoir might end up being relocated either way. But I don't think it will be too hard to get it high enough to do as you say; the level of the nipple on the T-stat housing is below the trunk lid enough to make it work. The trunk will likely house the oil catch tank and a couple other items so I'm not concerned about loosing the use of the trunk. In fact I might open up the panels in front and rear of the trunk to allow more air venting. Lots to be determined when that time comes.

Thanks for Your comments/ideas!
I think,will test and figure out how to ventilate all that stuff in the rear when car will be running, also because radiator is in the rear on top of the muffler and am going to make diffuser that will take air from the rear (below bumper)and blow it up through the bonnet - a lot of things to consider.

please don’t judge about red paintjob.
The "texture" will improve aerodynamics much in the way the "dimples" on a golf-ball allow the air to pass over it and the ball travels further. Your top speed and your fuel consumption should both improve with this more efficient aero surface treatment. Brilliant design! ;)

Good to see you are still making progress. Much more than I am (I've been taking care of maintaining my property before the heat makes it impossible to work outdoors). Wheels look to have a good off-set for the X's fenders, fit very nicely!

[P.S. "Tie rod ends"] :)

I have no more will to fight windmill- to clean this property, where cleaned last year-this year again is full of ****:(

I've never lived in an area that required as much work to maintain the property as this desert. Lots of factors that combine to make it a terrible place to live. But it is only temporary while I'm helping the family. Just finished creating a better work area where the building makes a little 'shade' from the sun in the mornings and blocks some of the high wind. Maybe I will be able to do a little work there in early hours for another month before the temp reaches 45-46 C (never gets below 38 C at night).

Back