RED X19

And don't forget the crack between the valve seats, apparently they all do that.
It does seem quite common to see that line between the valve seats. On a couple of my heads they were cracks, some were pretty deep and went into the valve seats. But on other heads they were more like 'erosion', and testing showed they did not go through the seats or into the ports/water jackets, etc.

A machine shop did my RZ350 just like that. On a flat surface with sand paper, and they have a grinder that would have done it. The owner preferred to do it that way.

Ya, I've also seen machine shops use interesting techniques by preference, despite having other equipment for the task. Often it was the older guys that opted to do things by hand. Given all of their experience they had a "feel" for it that was as precise as any automated machine.

Ya, I've also seen machine shops use interesting techniques by preference, despite having other equipment for the task. Often it was the older guys that opted to do things by hand. Given all of their experience they had a "feel" for it that was as precise as any automated machine.

Actually in this case it was the "old guy" owner had the young guy do it with sandpaper on a piece of glass. Sharing the knowledge.

I wonder if there is a variant for RHD cars?
Here it is 😂

A25D1106-7A25-4624-B824-368BB9A9F4D9.jpeg

How can it be that after a night there is omly 3 injectors left?! :D

*edit
took even seats out of the car, it’s not here, if You have spare Siemens DEKA 000 078 81 23 injector please let me know. Haven’t lost anything for years, except ladies :D

lost one that was taken out to make a pic hmm
FOUND IT 😂 after 2 years and 16 days in a shoe box that was actually untouched for ~10years 🤷🏻‍♂️
646EC591-B44A-4593-AB71-682498230024.jpeg

That's funny. At least now you know it didn't really disappear completely. So now where are the shoes that should have been in that box? :D

Hello!

I am worried about oil level that should be seen on the dipstick-
so again:
1.6 SOHC engine from Punto
oil pan from Uno Turbo mk1 made of steel sheey (same as punto one, but with oil inlet from turbo)

should I pour oil that is stated in Punto manual, or believe to the dipstick- I am not sure is engine in same angle in x19 as it was in punto 😬

I don't know how the angle of the engines compare between the two cars, but that could make a difference on what shows on the dipstick, and on what the oil pump pickup tube sees. Try contacting @rachaeljf, I know she has dealt with both vehicles/engines and might have a better answer. Sorry I can't be more help.

Hello!

I am worried about oil level that should be seen on the dipstick-
so again:
1.6 SOHC engine from Punto
oil pan from Uno Turbo mk1 made of steel sheey (same as punto one, but with oil inlet from turbo)

should I pour oil that is stated in Punto manual, or believe to the dipstick- I am not sure is engine in same angle in x19 as it was in punto 😬
On the standard UT Mk1 oil pan, the bottom is not flat with an angle I assume? And that means the baffle isn't angled as well? I think you should have a X1/9 oil pan to be on the safe side. With a standard UT oil pan I would slightly overfill it to compensate for the missing angle.
BTW I compared the oil pump inlets from UT Mk1 and X1/9 and they do not differ in length and angle.

what can be damaged if oil is filled too much?

At my. understanding I need to fill at least:
1. as it is stated in manual
2.+ X ml to fill turbo and pipes with oil
3. + Y ml to compansate difference of the angle

BTW I compared the oil pump inlets from UT Mk1 and X1/9 and they do not differ in length and angle.
I wonder if that indicates that both engines sit at the same angle in their original vehicles? I'm not familiar with the engine angle in a UT so I don't know, but just guessing by the oil pump pick up angle.

what can be damaged if oil is filled too much?
The oil level in the pan can affect power output. Too much oil causes the crankshaft to work harder to rotate through the extra oil. It would likely be a couple of HP at most though. The oil level might also cause an issue with the turbo if the level in the pan is higher than the turbo drain (oil return) fitting. The turbo's oil return needs to be unrestricted to avoid oil backing up in the turbo (that can cause a lot of smoke out the exhaust). So the fitting into the oil pan needs to be unrestricted; if the oil level in the pan is higher than the fitting then the draining oil can't flow easily.

I had my oilpan off and I noticed that with max level on the dipstick the oil level would almost reach the crank shaft/rods. The angle of the engine can't differ very much between Punto, Uno and X1/9. I think it would be safe to trust the Punto dipstick even if the engine is sitting in a X1/9, but always keep it on or close to max level.

set to zero

how stupid I was today?
my daily had some leak of cooling fluid yesterday, took out air filter box, to find the leak. no luck. put some cloth into inlet pipe to avoid urban creatures to get in.
went to the car with my friend to tow it home today, from ~city center - heavy traffic.
I am smart man so time by time turned on engine to make vacuum for brakes.
50m from finish was some small uphill, didn't want to torture friends car , so I turned on, put it in drive, and went uphill, Couldn't understand why engine is stalling. 🤦🏻‍♀️ offcourse - MAF sensor is unplugged becausw of that air filter box. One swcond later I realised that I have put that cloth in the inlet pipe. if recall correctly what I heard - then theris is bent valves 😂😂😂

D6E64E63-CFFD-41E1-B6C4-4DA192EE9640.jpeg

I wonder if that indicates that both engines sit at the same angle in their original vehicles? I'm not familiar with the engine angle in a UT so I don't know, but just guessing by the oil pump pick up angle.

The oil level in the pan can affect power output. Too much oil causes the crankshaft to work harder to rotate through the extra oil. It would likely be a couple of HP at most though. The oil level might also cause an issue with the turbo if the level in the pan is higher than the turbo drain (oil return) fitting. The turbo's oil return needs to be unrestricted to avoid oil backing up in the turbo (that can cause a lot of smoke out the exhaust). So the fitting into the oil pan needs to be unrestricted; if the oil level in the pan is higher than the fitting then the draining oil can't flow easily.

One other thing, and truly of MORE importance than hp loss.

The crank swirling in the oil causes it to foam up, with air trapped in bubbles. It can and could get to the point where it is all froth and no longer a liquid... or contain so much air that the oil pump is no longer effective... or worse yet, not pump at all.

Yes, it would take a lot of time for this to occur, but in a high speed or racing situation, you'll most likely loose more than just the race.

set to zero

how stupid I was today?
my daily had some leak of cooling fluid yesterday, took out air filter box, to find the leak. no luck. put some cloth into inlet pipe to avoid urban creatures to get in.
went to the car with my friend to tow it home today, from ~city center - heavy traffic.
I am smart man so time by time turned on engine to make vacuum for brakes.
50m from finish was some small uphill, didn't want to torture friends car , so I turned on, put it in drive, and went uphill, Couldn't understand why engine is stalling. 🤦🏻‍♀️ offcourse - MAF sensor is unplugged becausw of that air filter box. One swcond later I realised that I have put that cloth in the inlet pipe. if recall correctly what I heard - then theris is bent valves 😂😂😂

View attachment 35636

Not necessarily Janis... but could be. When you manage to get the rag(s) out of the intake, then try and start it again.

Lastly, I'm unsure what the photo hasta do with your story unless the "exclamation mark" is indicating idiocy. If so... well, I think we've ALL been there at one time or another. Hope things turn out well.

then theris is bent valves
So the engine sucked the cloth in and destroyed the valves? Wow that totally sucks Janis. So sorry to hear it. Hopefully when you have time to check it closer you may find less damage than expected. Like Tony said it might not be what you are thinking...certainly hope not. Let us know what you find.

So the engine sucked the cloth in and destroyed the valves? Wow that totally sucks Janis. So sorry to hear it. Hopefully when you have time to check it closer you may find less damage than expected. Like Tony said it might not be what you are thinking...certainly hope not. Let us know what you find.

I once had a carb nut and washer come off and get sucked into the intake on a hard right-hander.

I was now running on three... it appeared that the nut and/or washer got stuck between the exhaust valve and its port... but I had no idea at the time. What the hell, I thought, nurse it home as it was just a few miles but my last 1/4 mile was a steep hill. I put it in second and gave it gas! POW!

I'm now running on all 4... somewhat.

I pull the plugs and find number 3 has its negative electrode smashed a bit. I straightened it out and gapped it. Then did a compression check to find all were somewhat normal! Re installed the plug... and that was probably 70,000 miles ago, About 175K on this engine and it runs stronger than ever!

So here's hoping you are as blessed as I am!

Back