1984 BERTONE "TORINO" UPDATE

Jay DeJong

Low Mileage
I was the "WINNER"(?) of this car a few of you were watching on Ebay. I had been communicating with the seller when he had it on Facebook prior to the Ebay listing. He became irritated with me for asking too many questions, so I wrote it off. It was then removed from Facebook to show up on my saved searches list on Ebay. Anyway, I watched it, read the AutoCheck report (apparent mileage reading mistake by an independent emissions testing station in '02), looked at more pictures and watched the price drop. Saturday evening after one too may IPAs, I sent an offer. No response, no counter offer. Nearly a day went by before an acceptance of my offer. I picked it up later that week. Here is what I think so far:
It may indeed be a low mileage car, but it does not add much value because of the horrible storage it has had. It runs and sounds great. The clutch felt fine loading it on the trailer. I have not driven it yet because the brakes are in process of being replaced. The interior seems to be reflect a low mileage car (I owned a low mileage '83, same color combo, in the late 80's that had more seat wear than this car). There is rust below the rear bumper. There are various small dings and largeish paint chips that have surface rust. The seams under the hood have rust growing out from under them. the engine cover has rust.
My plan is to finish replacing the brakes (new rotors, pads, hoses, master cyl and caliper kits came with it). Replace the timing belt and fluids. Different wheels and new tires. Cosmetic touch up (not entire repaint), buff, wax and ENJOY.

Last edited:
Sorry it is in a storage unit right now. I will get some space cleared out in the shop and take some pictures soon.

Back