1986 Bertone X1/9 -- RM | Sotheby's - ARIZONA

Well, I think I can give some background on this one. This car used to be in Ron Tonkins private collection. He and his family used it in Hawaii only, for a couple of years, then brought it back to Portland where it stayed in his collection along with Ferraris, lambos, etc. I remember going on a tour and there it was. He had nothing be really nice things to say about it. Ron passed a couple of years ago, so no surprise to see some of his cars moving on. On the plus side, it was well maintained while in his care. On the down side, I think all of us know having an X1/9 for an investment car will probably not work out.

It certainly looks well preserved, but what to do with a museum piece like this? In the eyes of collectors it's too mint and original to start seriously modifying at this point. And in pure stock form it just isn't all that exciting IMO. Maybe something like a nice set of wheels which would be easily reversible, but I'd need to make some engine and suspension upgrades....and there would go the value.

It certainly looks well preserved, but what to do with a museum piece like this? In the eyes of collectors it's too mint and original to start seriously modifying at this point. And in pure stock form it just isn't all that exciting IMO. Maybe something like a nice set of wheels which would be easily reversible, but I'd need to make some engine and suspension upgrades....and there would go the value.

Agree. That's why all x1/9 owners need 2. One original and one modified to his taste.

Now my modified one is ready to hit the road next spring, I Wonder if my wife will let me keep the stock one that I bought while restoring the other...

Back