1986x19 for sale california

Do not use two piece lug nuts/bolts! I watched as a shop tried to get them off a 500 Abarth (chrome sheath on a steel lug bolt). It took an hour or two to get them all off as the chrome sheath would get lose and there was no proper sized socket to fit the bolt without the sheath. Kind of like getting a wheel lock off without the specific tool.

Do not use two piece lug nuts/bolts! I watched as a shop tried to get them off a 500 Abarth (chrome sheath on a steel lug bolt). It took an hour or two to get them all off as the chrome sheath would get lose and there was no proper sized socket to fit the bolt without the sheath. Kind of like getting a wheel lock off without the specific tool.
I'll second Carl on this. A shop installing tires on my Jeep crossthreaded one of the lugnuts. All of the effort to force it off resulted in the sheath spinning off.

After a lot of drilling and cussing, finally got the wheel off.

Meaning you take the loose tires and wheels to them. That way, they never get to touch your lug nuts
That's how I've done it (twice now). I took the car back to let them see what they helped with. (it's a small independent place, they were thrilled.)
Mount & balance and alignment are all I farm out.

So what's the correct question to ask a tire shop BEFORE they touch your wheels and nuts?
If they're magnesium, I tell them, "the wheels are magnesium. I've had tire shops bend them before by using too much pressure when dismounting wheels. Will magnesium rims be an issue for you? Please don't use an impact wrench to remove or reinstall the lugs. Torque them to this XX ft lbs."

I've also asked them to use weights on the inside of the wheel. Sometimes they listen to that but more often than not, the person writing up the request doesn't let the person doing the work know.

Weights on the inside - much better.
Sadly not all tire shops can do it... or can do it right. Some use tape on weights, some use the traditional press onto the wheel lip. I had one place do both - tape on in the inside and the traditional weight on the wheel lip on the outside. I was not pleased.

I always cringe when tire jockeys use air guns to mount wheels. Then they use a torque wrench which clicks imediately without turning the nut. I prefer what Bjwhite said take your wheels and tires then put them on yourself. use a torque wrench to set proper torque.

I always cringe when tire jockeys use air guns to mount wheels. Then they use a torque wrench which clicks imediately without turning the nut. I prefer what Bjwhite said take your wheels and tires then put them on yourself. use a torque wrench to set proper torque.
Yep. Although there are some places in this area that actually use a socket wrench to run the lugs in and then switch to a torque wrench. I think it depends on the shop you go to. But I usually take my wheels to the shop and leave my X at home.

Back