1987 BERTONE-fiat X 1/9 for sale

Dane

Hello all, with much hesitation I have decided to part with my X. I have had it about
5 years, garage kept, it has 78k orig. miles, I've never had any mechanical issues
with it that said it is not without flaws. It was repainted by the previous owner,
mediocre job at best. Rust wise, the body overall is good,
the rear trunk wheel arches are solid as are the front trunk strut towers.
I recently met with our local FIAT President and he gave it a thumbs up
after looking it over. All lights, wipers, horn etc. work as they should.
I have some spares and 3 tops. Overall the car is a solid driver, with no real issues,
its no show car, it shows the usual dings and scuffs but not abused or
mistreated. I want to see the car go to someone who will care for it the
way I have hence why I'm posting it here. I'm asking $5,500, My name is Dane,
sorry If I posted in the wrong section, feel free to ask any questions, thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_0185.JPG
    IMG_0185.JPG
    474.7 KB · Views: 205
  • IMG_0176.JPG
    IMG_0176.JPG
    354.4 KB · Views: 188
  • IMG_0168.JPG
    IMG_0168.JPG
    186.7 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_0169.JPG
    IMG_0169.JPG
    309.1 KB · Views: 184
You nailed the proper section Dane! Good luck with the sale! :)

It looks like there are AC controls. If so, does the AC work or at least are all the components present? People looking for an AC equipped car will want to know.

Walter, David and I sent about 45 minutes in the rain looking over this car. Dane is a very nice guy and has knowledge of the X1/9s. I told Dane I would write an unbiased summary of the car if he posted it on Xweb. Here I go.

Summary of the car:
Paint; Looks real good from 3 feet. I like the silver/blue color personally.
Seats; Covered with black faux fur. Condition unknown
Dash; Minor cracks around air vent. Looks fixable to me. I had the same cracks fixed professionally on my blue X for $104.00
Dash; tach goes to 2,000 rpms only. Same problem I had with my white X. I replaced the cluster.
Engine; sounds strong with no know problems. Looked very clean. no oil leaks I saw.
Transmission; Dane said shift carefully into to 3rd. Normal problem. Not bad.
AC; Parts removed but in a box.
Trunks; Both are very solid with no visible rust.
Timing belt: No knowledge of when the belt was last changed.
Overall impression;

Very nice condition 87 Bertone. Definitely ready to have fun with after a timing belt change. I do not think this car will ever win 1st at FFO, but good car for the money. If you have any other question, ask Dane. Walter did take a lot of pictures in the rain.

Hello all, with much hesitation I have decided to part with my X. I have had it about
5 years, garage kept, it has 78k orig. miles, I've never had any mechanical issues
with it that said it is not without flaws. It was repainted by the previous owner,
I have some spares and 3 tops. Overall the car is a solid driver, with no real issues,
Dane, it looks like a very nice car. Any chance of more photographs? Good luck with the sale.

Hello all again, thank you for the comments, Todd I would judge your comments/assessment of my
X to be a fair one. My car does have A/C but the compressor was removed by the previous owner.
I have all the A/C parts. I also have a spare gauge/instrument cluster along with some other odds and
ends. I do have more photos of the car if anyone's interested just send me your email and I'll send what
I have. I painted the wheel inlays body color along with the rear muffler vent, I think it gives the car
a tasteful, personal touch IMO. Anyways, thanks for the comments, if there are any other questions,
just ask. Thank you all....

Love the color. My girlfriend wants a turquoise MR2 - trying to convince her a turquoise X1/9 would be just as good haha.

You want it? It's cursed.

I have owned over 30 cars and I can honestly say a couple were cursed. Your car maybe difficult and full of surprises, but hasn't shown some of what I called cursed..

My Noble with 2000 miles on it:
1. At random start leaking fluid, sometimes gas, sometimes coolant and sometimes water? The leaks would occur under the car or inside the car.

2. Wires would melt for no reason...

3. Gauges would randomly work or not work depending on the day of the week... Weekends seemed worse...

4. Tires would go flat for no reason.. Never did find a leak...

5. It left me stranded by the side of the road multiple times in the first 18 months...

I sold the car to a friend of mine who drove it for 2 years and never had a problem.. He sold it to someone in Texas who also has never had a problem...

Ed

My wife and I had a new Subaru once that was cursed. It was perfectly fine mechanically and very reliable as you would expect from a Subaru but it was always in the wrong place at the wrong time:
  1. Wife parked next to the building she worked in. It was a flat-top roof with gravel and a huge wind storm came through and completely sandblasted the car. Had to be completely repainted and several panes of glass had to be replaced.
  2. Got broken into in a parking lot. Driver's door had to be repainted and the glass had to be replaced (again)
  3. Got backed into in a parking lot and the right front fender had to be repaired and repainted
  4. Caught in a tornado (in Kansas) -- the hood, roof, and complete driver's side of the car had to be repaired and repainted. All the glass had to be replaced.
  5. Hail storm (Kansas) -- complete repaint and much of the glass had to be replaced
We finally traded the car in. It was definitely cursed.

My wife and I had a new Subaru once that was cursed. It was perfectly fine mechanically and very reliable as you would expect from a Subaru but it was always in the wrong place at the wrong time:
  1. Wife parked next to the building she worked in. It was a flat-top roof with gravel and a huge wind storm came through and completely sandblasted the car. Had to be completely repainted and several panes of glass had to be replaced.
  2. Got broken into in a parking lot. Driver's door had to be repainted and the glass had to be replaced (again)
  3. Got backed into in a parking lot and the right front fender had to be repaired and repainted
  4. Caught in a tornado (in Kansas) -- the hood, roof, and complete driver's side of the car had to be repaired and repainted. All the glass had to be replaced.
  5. Hail storm (Kansas) -- complete repaint and much of the glass had to be replaced
We finally traded the car in. It was definitely cursed.

Wow, did insurance pay to fix it each time? If so, I'm surprised they kept up with it instead of totaling it out after 3rd repaint lol.

Reminds me of my first MR2 over the course of the 4 years I owned it:

-Rear ended on a highway off ramp. Had to replace the rear bumper beam and repaint the rear bumper cover.

-In stop and go traffic, the car in front of me accidentally selected reverse and backed into me. Had to replace the hood, driverside headlight assembly and repaint the front bumper cover.

-Was side swiped by a tractor trailor truck on two separate occasions while parked on the street. Both times I had to replace the drivers side front fender and the drivers door shell. Both times the cars directly in front and behind me took a lot more damage (probably totaled); silver lining?

-Was hit by a woman who wasn't looking while she was pulling out from a parallel parking spot on the side of the street. Had to replace the passenger's side front fender.

-Had to replace the windshield 3 times due to three different rock chips that spidered.

-Came out to my car one morning and found the passenger's mirror knocked off. It was either the garbage man or a drunk pedestrian. Had to replace the mirror.

-Came out to my car one morning and found evidence of what appeared to be a fight that took place on top of the car. The antenna was broken, the roof was dented, there was a butt print on the hood, and shoe prints on the engine lid.

-And what finally killed it was one day I found the car with about 3 inches of raw sewage in the floor pans. Apparantly the storm drains clogged during a rainstorm the previous night and flooded a few blocks around where I was parked.

I guess that's what you get for living in a city and having to park street side. The car was perfect mechanically. Just had cursed bad luck. I still can't understand how everyone else would park brand new Mercedes or BMWs on the street and they would still look pristine a few years later. . .

Sorry, its sold, good luck in your search, but boy are they getting harder to find. best regards, Dane

Back