1995 Fiat Barchetta - anyone know if they’re ‘California emissions legal’?

tvmaster

True Classic
These little beauties are now past the usa 25-year import ban, but I can’t find a single thing whether they, like other cool nineties cars (Nissan Figaro, Skyline, etc.) need uber-costly emissions compliance work done. That nonsense costs between $6500 - $10k, and takes between two-four months to complete.
It would be great if there were a list of compliant/non-compliant direct import cars, but I haven’t found one.

Last edited:
These little beauties are now past the usa 25-year import ban, but I can’t find a single thing whether they, like other cool nineties cars (Nissan Figaro, Skyline, etc.) need uber-costly emissions compliance work done. That nonsense costs between $6500 - $10k, and takes between two-four months to complete.
It would be great if there were a list of compliant/non-compliant direct import cars, but I haven’t found one.
Highly unlikely. They were never imported and therefor never set up to meet CARB. Those who have them register them in states which do not have such restrictive emissions laws.

Highly unlikely. They were never imported and therefor never set up to meet CARB. Those who have them register them in states which do not have such restrictive emissions laws.
That was indeed my concern. There are some great things about Ca., dealing with vintage autos isn’t one of them…

You need a list for California as emissions are still mandated by state. I have a friend who daily drives a Barchetta in Illinois.

Emissions is not the only issue in Cali. DMV will require a statement from the manufacturer that the particular year/model meets all MVSS requirements in place at the time of manufacture, and a vehicle never intended for US export will certainly not clear that hurdle. Sometimes you'll find an oddball that is for sale in CA and has been titled here. Look at the top right hand corner of the title and you'll find it marked "Title Only". CA will issue a vehicle title on anything, you just can't ever get it registered. It's only functions as a certificate of ownership but is needed to sell the car to either someone located in a friendlier registration State or another CA based caretaker. There are a few workarounds out there though. Some register in a friendly State (Vermont, South Dakota, Montana) but CHP is wise to it now so it's just a matter of luck and time before getting caught. That's in addition to possible insurance issues of having a vehicle registered in one State and actually domiciled in another. Safest way is for a serious collector (or a group of collectors) is to go through the hoops and get a wholesale vehicle dealers license. They can run anything on dealer plates because there is no interaction with DMV until a car is sold, so they buy what they want and sell it out of State when the're done playing with it - DMV never even knows the vehicle was or is in California and doesn't care.

Looks like it can be done (not mine):

DSC07132.JPG

Emissions is not the only issue in Cali. DMV will require a statement from the manufacturer that the particular year/model meets all MVSS requirements in place at the time of manufacture, and a vehicle never intended for US export will certainly not clear that hurdle. Sometimes you'll find an oddball that is for sale in CA and has been titled here. Look at the top right hand corner of the title and you'll find it marked "Title Only". CA will issue a vehicle title on anything, you just can't ever get it registered. It's only functions as a certificate of ownership but is needed to sell the car to either someone located in a friendlier registration State or another CA based caretaker. There are a few workarounds out there though. Some register in a friendly State (Vermont, South Dakota, Montana) but CHP is wise to it now so it's just a matter of luck and time before getting caught. That's in addition to possible insurance issues of having a vehicle registered in one State and actually domiciled in another. Safest way is for a serious collector (or a group of collectors) is to go through the hoops and get a wholesale vehicle dealers license. They can run anything on dealer plates because there is no interaction with DMV until a car is sold, so they buy what they want and sell it out of State when the're done playing with it - DMV never even knows the vehicle was or is in California and doesn't care.
that's wild - wholesale vehicle dealer as a retirement ruse....hmmm...

Just register it in Montana under an LLC. Some will argue it’s not strictly legal and I don’t know enough to get into that but I know several Ca. residents that have done it for years, no consequences.

Just register it in Montana under an LLC. Some will argue it’s not strictly legal and I don’t know enough to get into that but I know several Ca. residents that have done it for years, no consequences.
Thanks - I’m a good boy. lol.

Back